DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved some advise that I should change my bearing, and I am going to follow that advice. I just don't know how on my car, I did dissasemble 2 engines to get rid of them and remember the bearings but,
I can not remember how I got to them, please help me on this as I don't want to take it in since they will rip me off, plus I want to do the work my self... too many hands under the hood isnt good.
Please could I get some directions, I know I have to take the plenum off and all that but dont want to take the wrong thing off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What bearing or bearings are you talking about and why did someone recommend you replace them. Are you hearing something that indicates a problem or is this a super high mileage engine that you feel needs attention?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
dang,.. yeah, I feel I should replace the rod bearings just incase.. and idk some junkyard mech that looked at the car told methat I should do that. but if thats the case with the oilpan... I think the best thing to do is take it in because I dont have an engine jack or none of those goodies.
awesome good thing I didnt take that off... Id be looking forever lol. unless someone wants to help me out?:3some: Im all the way in Cheyenne wyoming.

edit"" btw is there any bearings even under the plenum?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, there is a cam bearing surface (a great number of them, in fact) under the valve covers, that you would need to pull the plenum to get to, but they aren't bearing inserts like on the crankshaft, they are actually machined as part of the head. I can't think of any OHC engines that use cam bearing inserts, but I'm sure someone, at some point in automotive history, used them.

So, short answer, on a 2.7L, no.

·
Registered
430 Posts
dang,.. yeah, I feel I should replace the rod bearings just incase.. and idk some junkyard mech that looked at the car told methat I should do that. but if thats the case with the oilpan... I think the best thing to do is take it in because I dont have an engine jack or none of those goodies.
awesome good thing I didnt take that off... Id be looking forever lol. unless someone wants to help me out?:3some: Im all the way in Cheyenne wyoming.

IMO you souldn't take advice from a guy in a junkyard about an engine that you own...

I'd get a second opinion before removing bolts for nothing... my .02

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is the thing: if the engine has any bad bearings, you will have _no_ doubt about it. Failed main bearings make a loud, hard hammering sound. Failed rod bearings make a loud hard, hollow-wood kind of knocking sound.

If they fail, you won't have any doubt. If you don't have any of those symptoms, your bearings are good to go.

There's folks on this board with over 200K on the original bearings, and that includes a bunch of 2.7's.

Jim Snover

·
Registered
153 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car---- I agree with many on here it would be very noticable if these needed to be replaced-- also agree with most on this site don't rip into things if they are not broken--- when you mentioned bearings I was thinking more in the line of possible wheel bearings which although messy are not that big of a pain to do...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the advice, and no it doesnt make those noises just a whining noise at idle and through out the acceleration. Is that screaming normal? Also the junkyard mech is just a friend of a friend that I thought knew what he was talking about.. i guess he doesnt.. at least not on my car lol. but thanks all for the info and the tips very much appreciated.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I appreciate the advice, and no it doesnt make those noises just a whining noise at idle and through out the acceleration. Is that screaming normal? Also the junkyard mech is just a friend of a friend that I thought knew what he was talking about.. i guess he doesn't.. at least not on my car lol. but thanks all for the info and the tips very much appreciated.
a whining noise during idle... that could be an idler pulley or bearing...

it's not in the engine... its the belt tensioner on your accessory belt drive at the front of the motor...

you can diagnose that yourself by using a real long screwdriver or socket extension. grip the end and put your knuckle over the end of the extension you are using. carefully, with the engine running, place the other end on the frame or adjoining part that you suspect is whining. can also be a case, like to the ac pump or alternator. then you carefully place your ear against your knuckle and listen. the sound resonance from the device will vibrate through to your ear. then just listen around the various devices... eventually you should find your noise (amplified) and then you go from there...

they also make a mechanics stethoscope you can get at most autoparts places. works the same as the method above, you just have a better sound and better tool to use...

my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.