DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[UPDATED] My custom stereo install with pics.

:teach:

I found a few limited guides on running power wire with the search function... I was wondering if anyone has a link to a better guide.

I am running 2 lines of 1/0 power wire to the trunk. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Two wires? What are you running in that trunk? I ran one 0 gauge wire to my trunk on the Special. I went through an opening on the passenger side lower kick panel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what im doing is running about 4500 rms with 4 amps. 350amp mechman alt... the entire inside of my car is fabricated.. and 3500 of the rms is is in the trunk. ..... all irrelevant, what im looking for is help running wires to my trunk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Welding cable works best I would go 2 GA at minimum!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure but right now I need a good spot to come through the engine wall... any experts??

·
Premium Member
16,968 Posts
Usually people poke a hole in the extra space in the grommet that the shifter cable goes thru (driver's side) - but the wires you're going to use may be too big for that.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Usually people poke a hole in the extra space in the grommet that the shifter cable goes thru (driver's side) - but the wires you're going to use may be too big for that.
Agreed. Even if you were to run them into the cabin via the passenger door grommet/opening that would still be very tight with two big wires. You might just have to drill some holes in the firewall and use the appropriate grommets to run those two wires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
heres what i came up with... removed the fender and drilled a hole and ran it down.

last pics were for fun...

remote turn on wire (for 4 amps)
6 runs of speaker wire.. for my front components/mids
sirius antenna
2 runs of 0/1 power wire
3 sets of rca, which will pass through to supply signal to 4 amps.

Whats going in the car?

2 sets of polk MM6501 (4 speakers 4 tweeters)
2 sets of DLS mids (4 speakers)
1 set of cadence 6x9s (2 speakers, 2 tweeters)
2 12" SSA ZCONS tuned at 38hz the box is being built for SQ, not SPL (powered by crescendo bc3500)

all amps will be tuned with oscilloscope

here is my STILL TO DO LIST

battery rack
Install 2nd and 3rd battery
replace alternator with rewound alternator
BIG 3 - Alternator positive to battery upgrade
BIG 3 - Alternator negative to chassis upgrade
BIG 3 - Alternator negative to block ground
Insulate/Soundproof trunk
Box Design (DONE)
Build Box
Carpet Box
Amp Rack
Finish Rear Deck (ill upload a pic next so you can see the fiberglass fab going on)
Run 5 sets of wires to rear deck
Install head unit
Install 4 amps
Install 3 distrib blocks
install fuse blocks
Install alternator inline fuse

here is the starting photos of the fiberglass fab for rear deck

·
Premium Member
16,968 Posts
Great work!

How sure are you that the jagged metal edges in your new hole aren't going to cut thru the insulation over time and short out?

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I don't know what the water flow is like there, but that looks like it is wide open where the fender meets the A pillar... and your hole is right below that. You're likely going to need to remove your wires, refine your hole, and put in a proper grommet... that would take care of the water intrusion problem as well as the chafing problem...

Perhaps I am wrong on the water thing, someone who's had a second gen fender off could tell you for sure.

But yea, I'd do something to protect the metal edge... that'll be a fun light show when it does wear through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we dont have to worry about that! I took some rubber from the door weather strip off my parts intrepid and glued it together to make a makeshift grommet frame kinda... then filled the rest in around the wires with silicone putty :) Thank you for your concern, but im not blowing my stereo equipment!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Didn't see that in the pic. If you confident that it's not going to scrape and expose the wire and is sealed up then your good to go..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts