DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first let me tell you that some motherf.... kids stole my car 1 week ago in London, On. apparently the intrepids are easiest cars to open and breake the ignition and then on the go.
Well the police found the car 2 days later, the driver door was ****ed, the radio (sony) and speakers (sony) gone, the front bomper scratched and the ignition in little pieces. Well my insurance just gave me $1800, less deductible I got $1200 (due to high Kms 352.000) well the thing now is I can not buy anything with that money, I got to keep the car (total lost) and try to fixed myself. Anyone has idea how to fix the ignition I think to go to a junk yard and get one used and put it on, but I really don't know how, also would be good idean on how to fix the hole that they did on the driver's door to get the car open.
I'd appreciate any help, I am in a budget and I cannot spend lots of money fixing my trep.
By the way is a 1996, ES, 3.5, rebuilt engine @ 250.000kms and good trans. that's why I wanted to keep it, also cause I can't affort anything else right now.
Sugestions?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You can get a complete junkyard steering column for under 75 bucks, at least around here. It's easier to swap a whole new column then mess with the busted ignition. As for the door handles, just get one from the junkyard. You have to remove the inner door panel and unhook a few things, and it pops out.

Best of luck,

·
Banned
72 Posts
Totally agree with matt- I haven't been to london if that's where you are but in the states you can't throw a rock in a junkyard without hitting a 1st gen LH model. You are almost guaranteed to be able to even color match the parts with your car!

75 bucks is about right in my area for a full service yard. The self service yard I use most here will charge only $25 but of course you'll need to also get a new key made or replace the ignition switch since the junkyard car won't have keys.

I recommend the self service not only for cost savings, but also when you dismantle the part you'll be more "trained" on how to do it on your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the promp answers, well I will get the steering column from the junk yard but question, How the hell I get the key to operate it?? I don't think they got the key set so in that case what do I do?
I've been looking for a how to install the steering column but I don't find anything, if someone has the link to it, I'd appreciate that.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I hope this will help you some:

Steering Column

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

The Saginaw steering column has been designed to be serviced as an assembly, less wiring, switches, shifter assembly ignition park interlock, shrouds and steering wheel. Note that most steering column components can be serviced without removing the steering column from the vehicle. If the vehicle is equipped with a floor shifter and center console, the center console will have to be removed before proceeding with the steering column removal.

Straighten the front wheels the position the steering wheel upside down and lock steering column. This is to ensure that no damage occurs to the air bag clock spring electrical connector assembly when the steering column is removed from the vehicle. If the steering column is not locked prior to its removal, damage to the clockspring assembly will occur.

Disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate the cable from the battery by wrapping the cable end with quality electrical tape. Disable the air bag system.

Remove the speed control switches from the side of the steering wheel. If the vehicle is not equipped with speed control, remove the side covers from the steering wheel.

Remove the two screws that attach air bag to the steering wheel, disconnect the wiring and remove the air bag assembly.

Remove the steering wheel retaining nut and the steering wheel using a steering wheel puller tool. Do not strike the steering column shaft to remove the steering wheel.

Remove the instrument panel left and right end covers.

Remove the two air bag fuses from fuse panel.

Remove the trim panels from the left and right lower cowl area.

Remove the ash tray and lower knee bolster panel.

Remove the center instrument panel cover.

Remove the radio and heater/AC control assemblies from the dash.

Remove the center upper air outlet assembly. Outlet bezel is removed by prying right side of air duct from dash panel first. If equipped with traction control, remove the switch.

Remove the lower knee bolster panel from the upper instrument panel and disconnect wiring from lighter.

Remove the two ash tray receiver mounting screws and remove the receiver.

Open glove box door and pushing sides to allow glove door to fully open, remove six bolster panel mounting screws.

Carefully remove the complete lower dash panel. Be sure to disconnect wiring and remove from passengers side of vehicle.

Remove the two under steering column heat and A/C ducts.

Tilt the steering column to the full up position and remove the 3 shroud-to-shroud attaching screws.

Tilt steering column to the full down position. Remove the upper shroud.

Tilt steering column to the full up position. Remove the tilt lever and the three mounting screws to the lower shroud and remove the shroud.

If equipped with column shifter, remove the shift cable assembly by prying shift cable from attaching pin. Disconnect the cable retaining clip and remove the cable.

If equipped with floor shifter, turn the ignition key to the run position and depress tab to remove the floor shifter interlock cable from steering column socket.

Remove the steering column coupler bolt pin and bolt. Loosen but do not remove the two bolts that attach steering column to bracket assembly.

Support steering column and remove mounting bolts and bracket assembly. Lay column on floor of vehicle.

Remove the wiring harness connectors and remove the complete steering column from the vehicle.

To install:

Ensure that the ground clip is installed on the left capsule slot of the steering column upper mounting bracket. Before installing the steering column, the plastic capsules should be pre-assembled in the bracket slots.

Position the steering column assembly on the floor of vehicle and reconnect wiring. Be sure to position wiring through proper clips.

Yellow color connectors are for the air bag, use care to ensure proper connections.

Position steering column onto mounting bolts while aligning coupler to shaft.

Ensure that coupler is fully seated and tighten upper mounting bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Install coupler bolt and tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm). Install retaining pin into the coupler bolt.

If equipped with floor shifter, turn the ignition key to the run position and insert interlock cable into steering column socket. Be sure interlock cable is fully engaged with socket.

If vehicle being serviced is equipped with a column shifter, a new interlock cassette must be installed.

If vehicle being serviced is equipped with a column shifter, route shift cable through support bracket and attach to shift mechanism. Adjust the interlock cassette by pushing in the adjustment tab until it stops. The tab will click as it moves into position ensuring that it is fully depressed.

Install upper and lower steering column shrouds.

Install ventilation duct work and secure.

Install the lower dash panel and feed wiring through center console.

Install wiring connectors to glove box light and trunk release.

Install lower knee panels and secure with mounting screws.

Install and secure ash tray receiver. Install screw attaching center of lower knee bolster panel to upper instrument panel.

Reconnect wiring to ash tray lighter and lamp.

Install center upper air outlet and connect traction control switch.

Install radio and heater/AC controls, be sure to reconnect wiring.

Install center instrument panel cover and install ash tray.

Position the steering wheel upside down and lock steering column.

Install the two air bag fuses to fuse panel.

Install the instrument panel left and right end covers.

Install the steering wheel assembly and tighten retaining nut to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).

Reconnect the air bag assembly, reconnect wiring and install retaining screws. Be careful not to pinch any air bag system wiring. Install air bag module retaining screws on each side of the steering wheel.

Install speed control switches or side covers to each side of the steering wheel.

Connect the negative battery cable.

Check the operation of all steering column operated components for proper operation. Road test the vehicle to ensure proper steering column operation and speed control operation, if equipped.

Ignition Lock Cylinder

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

The ignition lock cylinder is installed in the end of the housing opposite the ignition switch. The ignition key rotates the ignition lock cylinder to 5 different positions: ACCESSORY, OFF, UNLOCK, ON/RUN, and START.

When replacing the ignition lock cylinder on a vehicle with a column shifter, a new interlock cassette must be installed. If the vehicle has a floor shift, the interlock cable at the floor shifter must be adjusted.

Column Shifter

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the tilt lever mounting screw and tilt lever.

Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.

Insert the key and turn to the RUN position. This will cause the lock cylinder retaining tab to depress.

Using a small screwdriver, depress the tab and slide the ignition lock cylinder out from the housing.

Remove the column shift interlock cassette as follows:

Push down the tab on the top of the interlock cassette.

Slide the shift interlock cassette out of the housing.

Disconnect the cable from the locking arm on the column shifter mechanism.

To install:

Install the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the RUN position. The retaining tab on the lock cylinder can be depressed using a small screwdriver.

The shaft at the end of the ignition key lock cylinder aligns with the socket in the end of the housing. To ensure proper alignment, the socket must be in the RUN position.

Align the ignition lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening in the housing.

Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. Remove the ignition key.

An adjustment to the column shift interlock system is performed only after a new interlock cassette has been installed. It cannot be adjusted more than once. If the interlock system operates incorrectly, install and adjust a new shift interlock cassette.

Install and adjust a new interlock cassette as follows:

Be sure that the latch rotates freely on the shifter gate.

With the key removed and the shifter in the PARK position, install the cable over the hook on the locking arm of the column shifter mechanism.

Push the interlock cassette into the housing until it locks into place.

Adjust the interlock system by pushing in the adjustment tab until it stops. The adjustment tab will click as it moves into position. Be sure that the tab is fully depressed.

Install the upper and lower steering column covers.

Install the tilt lever and tighten tilt lever attaching screw.

Reconnect the negative battery cable.

Check the system for proper operation.

Floor Shifter

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the tilt lever mounting screw and tilt lever.

Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.

Insert the key and turn to the RUN position. This will cause the lock cylinder retaining tab to depress.

Using a small screwdriver, depress the tab and slide the ignition lock cylinder out from the housing.

To install:

Install the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the RUN position. The retaining tab on the lock cylinder can be depressed using a small screwdriver.

The shaft at the end of the ignition key lock cylinder aligns with the socket in the end of the housing. To ensure proper alignment, the socket must be in the RUN position.

Align the ignition lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening in the housing.

Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. Remove the ignition key.

Adjust the floor shift interlock cable as follows:

Remove the floor shifter handle.

Remove the floor console bezel and loosen the interlock lever adjustment nut.

Install the ignition key and turn it to the RUN position.

Remove interlock cable from the floor shifter housing. Slide the cable out of the groove in the shift interlock lever.

Inspect the interlock cable for the following:

With the ignition key removed and the lock cylinder in the OFF (LOCK) position, the cable core wire should not move when it is pulled. If movement occurs, the cable is installed improperly or it is kinked.

With the ignition key in the RUN position, the cable core wire should slide freely when it is pulled and return to the bottomed out position when it is released. If no movement occurs while in the RUN position, the cable is installed improperly or the wire is kinked.

Place the floor shifter in the PARK position. Slide the cable core wire into the groove on the adjustment lever and be sure that the cable end seats in the groove.

Slip the cable into the housing until it snaps into place. Be sure that the floor shifter remains in the PARK position.

Remove the ignition key (be sure that the switch is in the OFF position).

With the adjustment nut on the interlock lever loosened, the cable should index itself to the correct position. Once this has happened, tighten the adjustment nut to 50 inch lbs. (6 Nm).

Check the interlock adjustment as follows:

With the key in the OFF position, the floor shifter should be locked in the PARK position. If not, re-adjust the interlock and tighten adjustment nut.

Without starting the engine, turn the key to the RUN position. Place the shifter in the Reverse position. The key should not be able to be removed from the lock cylinder. If it can, re-adjust the interlock and tighten the adjustment nut.

Place the floor shifter in the PARK position. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. The ignition key should be able to be removed. If this is not possible, re-adjust the interlock and tighten the adjustment nut.

Install the bezel on the floor shifter console.

Install the floor shifter handle.

Install the upper and lower steering column covers.

Connect the negative battery cable.

Check the system for proper operation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot StrongT I really appreciate the how to! I was lost, well now I got a little more idea of what I am going to do. Thanks again!!
If someone has pics would greatly appreciate too. ( I hope I am not asking too much)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts