DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm thinking of getting a laptop for school and work applications and I'm not sure as to what I should be looking for. I do know that I want the CD burner/dvd combo and as much memory as I can get. I'm looking to stay in the 3000.00 to 4,000.00 price range.
Thanks
BK

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not a laptop genius or anything, but if you're willing to spend 3,000 to 4,000 dollars you could probably get just about everything that is out there for them! Check Dell.com or Gateway.com

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
You should be able to configure a nice Dell for around $3000. I think they are having a promotion where you get 256MB of memory for the price of 128MB.

I am looking for a new one and have been leaning towards Dell.

Are you looking for a desktop replacement or a light-weight?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually looking for lightweight but with a lot of power (almost comparable to a desktop). The funny thing is a lightweight laptop would probably be more powerful than my computer at work.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
well, bboucher is right, you can just about get anything for $4000. So since price is not a problem, you just have to choose the brand you like and configure it on-line :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
check out one of them Dell Inspirion's
suupposedly they are the thing to get right now if you got the $$ for em.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out eBay for all kinds of laptop solutions. If you want one for typing, with a few tricks you can get a ThinkPad 701 there for $50. If you want one for hiking, look for a Toughbook.

If you're serious about $3-4K, and you want to do graphics and Web photography, check out the Sony Vaio's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WinBook X1 is pretty nice, has 1GHZ pentium III and 320MB of RAM. Less than 5lb. Comes with DVD/CW combo drive. Around $3K. I just got a Fujitsu Lifebook C series, also pretty good, not as light, but much cheaper.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
How bout this laptop....

Toshiba Sattelite 3000
128MB RAM (More ram is dirt cheap right now)
DVD
933 P3
Geforce2GO (SWEET video card - rare on laptops)
20gig HD
14" Screen

and now the price..

$1600

I would personally get that one right now.... its a sweet laptop for a sweet price. I have a few of them here at work. They ****ing own. Use the rest of the cash you would have spent on a $4000 laptop for a nice system for your 'Trep. :O)

·
Registered
3 Posts
4k on a laptop huh? You can buy just about anything with that. If weight is important check out an IBM thinkpad. This is a quality laptop and is 3lbs. Dell makes a nice laptop also and they are getting more stylish everyday. Look for a Dell promo with a free M100 palmtop to go with your new laptop if you go that route.

More and more these days desktop computers are a priced based decision. Meaning the quality in desktop computers is similar from computer to computer. With laptops though, you really get what you pay for. I originally sold off brand laptops where 1 out of every 3 had problems. Then I sold the Toshiba laptop for a while. I owned one also. These are good "middle ground" notebooks. Stay away from the non-intel processing notebooks because you will have problems (overheating, lookups etc).

But with 4000 to spend, this is a non issue. Go with Dell or IBM. You will be happy.

By the way, I jabber alot hehe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We use nothing but Dells. I'm the IT admin, so I get to try out alot of new machines before I pass them on down.(I'm on my 6th this year) We use Latitudes for our laptops. Look at the C600. It's a 2 spindle, weighs around 5.5 lbs, but has a 14" screen. Just about a perfect mix. I don't mind the weight, so until a month ago I had a C800 (now a C810). 3 spindle, 15", great box, but heavy. I currently have a Inspiron 8000 (now a C8100), with 15", 32 meg Gforce2go video, 1 gig hz.,30 gig hd, 256 meg, dvd/cdrfw combo. Even with a port replicator and 3 year onsite, I didn't break $3000. But it is a heavy beast!

Although blazing fast on 3D stuff for a laptop, it's not as stable as my C800 was. Although other than video card, it's basically the same machine.

You may want to look at the Inspiron 2500 line. Alot lighter, but plenty capable. Either way, go with 3 year on site. Best $100 you can spend.I'd definatelt reccomend Dell. I like IBM's, but the erasor stick just doesn't get it for me. All the current Dell's have a stick and a touchpad both.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Just a quick note... i liked that laptop so much that i described (Toshiba 3000)... i ended up buying a few of them for the job... and i ploped one right on my desk. I got rid of my desktop and now im just using this.

The Geforce2Go video is simply amazing. I would have never dreamed of playing Unreal or Quake on a laptop, but I was doing it on Friday. Awesome!

This is definitely worth the $1500 for it.

Oh... just a quick word for the wise and this is the trend you will start seeing on new laptops... there are NO serial ports on this laptop. Only USB ports (this laptop even has a Smartmedia port and i THINK a firewire port)... but i have to verify the fireware one. So if you need serial ports, you better off getting something else.

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: DjPiLL ]

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: DjPiLL ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts