DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew this was coming sooner or later. The threads are stripped for the oil drain plug. I realized it was leaking when I saw oil coming from under my car after my oil change like 2 hours ago. I backed the plug out and put some of that tape around the threads and tightened it back up. It seems to be holding. My question... How hard is it to remove the oil pan? I have a 2001 Corde with the 2.7. I can get an oil pan from this guy but I have to get it off myself. He doesn't care if I ruin the car trying to pull parts off of it. Do I need to remove the sway bar. The car is on ramps in the front. What tools do I need to take with me to get it off? I will wait till next oil change to switch them out if mine seems to have stopped dripping for now but I am getting a good price on the oil pan and need to get it off the car before he junks it. It is a 2002 Corde with a 2.7. Can I just take all the bolts off and wiggle it out from above the sway bar. I have been searching the forums for like 30 minutes now for this and found only a little bit of info.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
4 bolts on the sway bad,, take them out and shove it to the back,, remove oil pan bolts,, wiggle and out it comes

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Here is pic showing my 3.x liter oil pan with relation to the sway bar. The sway bar is not even close to being in the way. I wouldn't think your 2.7 oil pan would be so different that the sway bar would be a problem?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is pic showing my 3.x liter oil pan with relation to the sway bar. The sway bar is not even close to being in the way. I wouldn't think your 2.7 oil pan would be so different that the sway bar would be a problem?

Thanks for the responses. I tried to see about removing mine, and like half of the bolts are stripped! I am just going to use an over sized plug next oil change. What is that you have there on yours?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I tried to see about removing mine, and like half of the bolts are stripped! I am just going to use an over sized plug next oil change. What is that you have there on yours?
Its a fumoto oil drain valve.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a fumoto oil drain valve. It sucks that the drain hole on the 2.7 liters faces down, you guys could never use one:glum:
Er... That was going to be my next question. Any suggestions for what I should do, or is the OS drain plug the best way?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Er... That was going to be my next question. Any suggestions for what I should do, or is the OS drain plug the best way?
The proper fix is to replace the pan. Or take it off and retap it. Btw, Do not retap while its still installed on the car.
However since your low on funds...Ive never done this on a Intrepid but it worked on my friend's MDX. Find the right size and pitch of the bolt and look for longer bolt at the hardware store, about 1 inch longer than the plug. It "might" catch a few good threads and your golden. There are also these rubber plugs that expand and seal it up. You have install a new one every time you do your oil. Ive never used them but maybe someone here has and can chime in. Or get'er done ultra redneck style, and rtv the plug! IMO, I don't like using oversize bolts, they never seem to work out, but then again Ive never used one in aluminum.

Its a fumoto oil drain valve. It sucks that the drain hole on the 2.7 liters faces down, you guys could never use one:glum:
The drain hole on the 2.7 does not face down. Your quasimoto thing should work in a 2.7.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The oil pan isn't bad too remove and replace once the sway bar is moved out of the way. Just don't forget the pan bolts at the front of the pan that go into the timing cover...

The fumoto valve works just fine on the 2.7, and as noted above, it does not face straight down. I've had one on my '99 for several years. They drain slower, but that's the least of my concerns with these aluminum pans...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fumoto valve works just fine on the 2.7, and as noted above, it does not face straight down. I've had one on my '99 for several years. They drain slower, but that's the least of my concerns with these aluminum pans...
AWESOME! Can anyone inform me if there is a certain size I need to get? I plan on probably getting it on eBay unless an auto store sells them cheap.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am assuming it is the F-106. I went to the Fumoto website and figured it out. Just wanted to double check...

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. As many of you know if you read the rest of the thread, my threads on the pan are stripped. Is this the same size as the plug? I am assuming if I just put one of these on, it would still leak. Could putting some of the tape around the threads first hold up over time/work? I know I have to do something this oil change because I can not keep just using the same plug. I really want to use the Fumoto valve so I never have to mess with the threads again, but how do I go about this with stripped threads?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
The proper way to do it would be to drill out and tap the stipped hole to the next feasible size. It would help if that thread size also happened to be one that fumoto makes a drain valve to fit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you just get a bit that is the right size and drill. What do you do next to thread it?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
So you just get a bit that is the right size and drill. What do you do next to thread it?
well there are drill and tap charts that tell you what what size hole you need for a specific thread.
Typically you would make the hole large enough to remove the previous threads and then select the tap for that hole. If there isn't a match you drill the hole bigger to the size for the next available tap size.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, well I need some more advice about this. Here is the Fumoto size chart...

Is there a size that would work?

·
Registered
8 Posts
DO NOT drill and tap the pan on the car!! You'll do more harm than good with the metal you shave off and leave in the panto be picked up and floated through the engine. Take the pan off first and replace it, or drill and tap it while off the vehicle so you can clean it out properly afterward. I recommend replacing it, since the drain plug bung doesn't have that much material around it in the first place, and they are prone to cracking with or without an over-sized plug. Remember, this is aluminum you're working with...Just my $0.02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts