DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car got totaled and I'm looking for something else. I came across a beautiful 1999 Intrepid with 127xxx miles on it. After test driving it, I went home and did a little research and that's when I found out about the reputation of this 2.7L engine. My question is, are the problems the 2.7L has had all problems that would have/should have surfaced by now with the car having as many miles on it as it does? I'm figuring with the sludge issue that will be a concern throughout the life of the car, but I am fine with only using synthetic oil if that is what it takes. FYI I'm a college student who can't afford constant repairs. I love this car but I want to make a good decision.

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Well kudos for doing the research! I think most abused 2.7s start to give up around 80K+, honestly you're right in the wheel house. Is this car from a dealer? Has the water pump been changed? It should have been done at 100K, and is one of the main failure points. A well maintained 2.7 will run forever, if the car has good, consistent, oil change receipts then I would feel much more comfortable. Honestly, now that you've felt the wonder that is a Dodge Intrepid, shop around and try to find one with a 3.2/3.5; you won't regret it, more power and piece of mind!

And welcome to the forum!!

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
X3 - while a well-maintained 2.7 will run for a long time - you're better off finding one with a 3.2 if at all possible. Especially if it's your first LH. :biggrin:

Good luck!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,590 Posts
X4 - 2.7 is kinda like a high maintenance gal...it likes to be serviced....it like to be looked at....it likes to be checked on....and will get very ugly with you if you neglect her at the slightest moment.
Couldnt have said it better. At 127K, it may have had the maintenance done already. I recommend a 3.2/5, very reliable, and not so persnickety.

Welcome to the site from Raleigh!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts