DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just wondering if anybody has had to deal with this. My check engine light is on. Took it to a general mechanic, and he told me the code read:

P0441 Evaporative system failure.

and that I should take it to the dealer to hunt for the evaporative leak.

Are there any other options --i.e. are there common problems that i can look for, in which case I can replace a part or two--instead of getting "raped" by the dealer :crying: Anyway, thanks for your help.

Charles

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Hey all. Just wondering if anybody has had to deal with this. My check engine light is on. Took it to a general mechanic, and he told me the code read:

P0441 Evaporative system failure.

and that I should take it to the dealer to hunt for the evaporative leak.

Are there any other options --i.e. are there common problems that i can look for, in which case I can replace a part or two--instead of getting "raped" by the dealer :crying: Anyway, thanks for your help.

Charles
P0441 - INCORRECT PURGE FLOW
Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission
system operation

Do what my esteemed colleagues have stated....
You should be good to go!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

you all really know your stuff! I tightened the cap, but the light was still on. I went to disconnect the battery--and after seeing that intrepid's dont have batteries--oh wait, there it is wayyyyy under there--I noticed that it had a bit too much corrosion--but being that I didnt want to/know how to dismantle my air filter compartment to get to it , I took it in to get a new battery. That essentially reset the computer, and the check engine light is gone. Thanks again for the wealth of info that you all represent!

Peace,
Charles

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
anytime, glad to be of help. Just a heads up, if you search out key dance, there is a way in the chrysler cars to check the codes.

Turn the key from the off to the on position 3 times without starting the motor,the last time leave the key on,and look in the odometer and it will give you the codes. Search out the code in the how-to section and you can have your answer from any place with a computer and 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I went to disconnect the battery--and after seeing that intrepid's dont have batteries--oh wait, there it is wayyyyy under there--I noticed that it had a bit too much corrosion--but being that I didnt want to/know how to dismantle my air filter compartment to get to it
Well that's good news, for future reference you dont need to disconnect the battery itself, just undo the negative jump post. That breaks the circuit and essentially has the same effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts