DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fixed the missing problem, it was the cam sensor. thanx to everyone who helped. now a new problem has arisen. the other day upon coming home the car went into limp mode. I disconnected the battery to let the computers reset, next day car ran fine, that whole week I had to do it only one more time. now this week the car goes into limp again, I disconnect battery, go to drive, shifts into 2nd and stays there. so I try starting in first, well even with the tranny in 1st, the car still shifts to second and stays once again. now I've heard that it could be the output speed sensor, and I have also heard something about a tranny range sensor, and solenoid. supposedly the input speed sensor wouldn't trigger limp mode. any suggestions? really need help with this as I don't want to drive around at a max 50 mph. thanx in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
can't anyone help me with this, really need some info. I have now heard that it is either a range sensor, which I am still not sure where it is located, a transmission solenoid which I would have to take apart the tranny to get to, or maybe even the tcm, someone please help.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Was it doing any of this before you changed the cam sensor that seem to much of a coinsidence if it just started. If the cam sensor is not a good new one could possibly cause strange problems. The pcm and tcm are connected on the same data bus and one can affect the other. When my TCM went bad it cause the dash gauges to all go crazy, reset etc. so I don't put it pass the fact that if the pcm was getting bad signals from a cam etc. it might affect the tcm in return. Just an idea...

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Input sensors CAN trigger limp mode just as output sensors can. To tell which one it might be check the speedometer. As a rule of thumb, if the speedo is working then it's the input sensor - if it isn't it's the output sensor. This isn't to say that a sensor is the problem at all but changing a sensor in the driveway is cheaper ($50 for both sensors) than most diagnostics at a tranny shop so it's usually worth a try ...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok basically the speedo works but jumps from time to time. also I'm not sure if I mentioned this above, but when I start it out on D or 1 it will start on first fine, then all of a sudden jump to second even while in manual first, and just stay there. so basically try both input and output sensors, right. I just replaced the output sensor but I'll try again, also I have warranty on the cam sensor so I could take it back, so I'll try that. now has anyone hear of this range sensor, if so where exactly is it located. I called AZ and dodge and both of them do not carry this, or maybe it's called something else. and also how likely is it that the tranny solenoid went out, does it sound like these are effects of this being bad. also I have an extra tcm so I'll try that. also another problem, my cousin has a diagnostics scan tool, both obd 1 and 2, and when he tried to connect it to the car it couldn't get a reading, it just kept saying please make sure ignition is on, it said this while car was off, set to on on the ignition, and while the car was actually running. any clue why this would happen, my cousin said it could be a bad ground wire for the harness, or pinched wires, any help would be great, thanx for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The range sensor is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission. The 2nd gen FSM calls it a "Range Sensor". The first gen FSM calls it the MVLPS Manual Valve Lever Position Sensor.This is what tells the computer what gear you selected. If the 'puter senses that the trans is malfunctioning it will de-energize the trans Control relay located in the power distribution center (drivers side under the hood). This will put the trans in limp mode (2nd gear only). When in limp mode , it doesn't matter what foward shifter position you put it in, it will only let you have 2nd gear, this is to protect the trans from self-destruction.
ok basically the speedo works but jumps from time to time.
Like others mentioned this means your output sensor is most likely the trouble. Also could be faulty wiring or the above mentioned relay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thanx, that alone was a lot of help, since the guy at dodge told me that all they had was the manual shift sensor thing, so basically I am gonna change the mlvs, tranny input and output sensors, and cam sensor. thanx a lot you guys are the only reason why the trep isn't at a junk yard, you guys are good at troubleshooting. does anyone know about the computer harness that the diagnostics tool plugs into. any help or experiences would be great.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Never had to use the computer harness, but what info do you want? For location:

Data Link Connector (DLC)

See Figure 1

Fig. 1: The Data Link Connector (DLC) is located on the passengers side of the steering column

The DLC links the DRB III scan tool with the PCM. The DLC is located at the lower edge of the knee bolster to the right of the steering column. Reach inside of the opening and swing the DLC down for access.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
basically I have a cell light, I think it's because of the upper intake leak, but my cousin has a scan tool and will scan the pcm for free. the code I get from the key dance is 43 which is something about coil, but people say anything that can cause this code since it means incomplete combustion, when we tried to scan it it said the ignition was no on even when it was. basically I want to know what could cause this harness to not cooperate with the scan tool. what exactly is drb III. does that have anything to do with obd I and obd II, like is it a totally different thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts