DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my problem. I have a 1997 Dodge Intrepid and when i was driving down the road my headlights and foglights went out. I stopped and turned my headlights switches off and on and the only lights i could get to light up were the 2 side marker lights. If anybody has an answer to this problem please post it. Thnk you in advance.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
are the headlights and foglights on the same fuse as the parking lights, or a diff one, if its different, it may just be a fuse, but other than that, dont know much about first gens

·
Registered
276 Posts
the only thing i can think is that the switches tend to get hot when the foglights are on.if you are running after market foglights they may be more of a draw on the system.
i also have a 97 trep(3.3).i havent had mine long but i once noticed that the switch got very hot when the foglights were on for a long time.not sure if this helps but i am curious as to whether it just blew the fuse.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
One day, I took apart my steering column (in my neon), and found this. Well, later that night, while driving, my headlights and fogs wouldn't work. As it turned out, my wires were messed up enough so that my headlights woudln't turn on, and my fogs won't turn on without my headlights. So, I took apart the column again, and make sure the wires were properly connected (which they were), but since they were "jiggled", the headlights started working again.

And in case you were wondering, yes I was using after market bulbs in my neon.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The old "excessive current" thru an underrated, cost-cutting connection, eh? Good old cheaper, better, faster,,,

If the headlights and foglights are controlled by a relay, there shouldn't be any increased current going thru the connections, even with aftermarket brighter bulbs. Sometimes connectors just get that way thru age, and by not being really that heavy duty enough.
Once again, repeat the magic mantra, "cheaper better faster"...

·
9,861 Posts
The fog lights do not go through a relay. They run right off the switch.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
You need a new multi-switch, PM a member named Kenundrum, i saw this first-hand on his '97. He had to follow me home from JoeKD's house for over an hour holding his brights on.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hypnos said:
The fog lights do not go through a relay. They run right off the switch.
That's why I specifically said "IF" as a suggestion. Sorry, I guess I should have elaborated or have been more specific...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts