DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I have a 1999 dodge intrepid and my oil pressure light keeps comeing on but there's plenty of oil in my car what's the problem?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Oil Pressure Switch? Buy only from the dealer on this part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the oil sending unit like two months ago and it's just now starting with the light

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
Did you get it from the Dealer? If not...buy one from the dealer. Aftermarket on this part is crap.

It also helps if you give the background on what you've replaced or attempted to repair in your original post. Details are important.

If you don't want to buy this part from the dealer, then good luck with buying more aftermarket switches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I got it from autozone so i should buy another one from dodge what else could it be if tht doesn't help the problem?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
No I got it from autozone so i should buy another one from dodge what else could it be if tht doesn't help the problem?
A worn out engine with low oil pressure.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
You could try replacing the switch with one from your dodge dealer (OEM switches have been consistently reliable), or for the cost of a switch or a little more you could pay a mechanic to hook up a mechanical pressure gauge temporarily to see if the oil pressure is indeed low. And if the mechanic verifies the pressure is ok, then you'd have to again spend money on a quality switch from the dealer.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,122 Posts
You could try replacing the switch with one from your dodge dealer (OEM switches have been consistently reliable), or for the cost of a switch or a little more you could pay a mechanic to hook up a mechanical pressure gauge temporarily to see if the oil pressure is indeed low. And if the mechanic verifies the pressure is ok, then you'd have to again spend money on a quality switch from the dealer.
Did I not just say the same thing about the switch in my first posts? LOL!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Don't be surprised if a mechanic replaces the switch with an aftermarket switch and you still have the problem. The guys here are speaking from experience. Especially since money is tight, your best chance of fixing it with one try is to replace the switch with an OEM one. We've seen hundreds of this problem posted here and on our own cars. It is pretty much always a bad switch. After many years on this forum, I don't recall once it being actual low oil pressure. If it ever was, I missed it. We've also seen many instances of the aftermarket switches not being calibrated properly (light comes on at idle) and replacing with OEM fixed it.

The light comes on when engine is at operating temperature, in gear, at idle? If you take it out of gear or speed the engine up, the light goes out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts