DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, it's not my intrepid, but my girlfriend's 95 Voyager with the 3.3 in it..... some of you may know my history with this damn van, everything was wrong, but, we fixed it up and finally today, got it registered and insured ($344 down for insurance, $130 for title, plates, etc.) get home and put plates on.... turns key to the start position, just clicks, my girlfriend gets all angry and starts hitting the dash, car starts, we run it for about 20 minutes then we try to put her new stereo in, had an issue with the infinity amp (only front speakers worked, dunno how to hook up the infinity amp to the stereo or bypass it) so, we were going to go to the stereo place down the street, goes to start, just a click...... so, I unplug battery, replace starter and ASD relays, re-connect battery..... just clicks, again.... unplug battery, unplug starter and re-connect, re-connect battery, this time it made a louder click and all electrical systems failed, except for the light under the hood, which was really dim.... un-plug and charge battery, re-connect, viola, power......... go to start, loud click and no power what-soever.............

things I noticed, if I disconenct both the + and - cables, I'll get power back if I reconnect them ~5 minutes later, the click sounds like its coming from around the relay box or the TCM (I believe it's the TCM right next to the battery in the mini-vans, but I don't see how this would suddenly make the car like it has no power)............ somebody please help me!!!!! I am at my wits end on these f***ing chryslers (dead 91 spirit, limp 96 stratus, rod-knocking 97 intrepid and now, dead 95 voyager)

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,675 Posts
What do the battery cable ends look like? Are they corroded? Even if their not, this sounds like a definate battery cable issue. The battery was dead, so the alternators' charge isnt getting back to it. It wont start, then you have a connection, but it cant handle the high amps needed to crank it over. Look at your cables, and make sure their not green, or broken or loose. Even if they arent corroded, take them off of the battery and starter and clean the *&*^ out of them with a wire brush or some heavy sandpaper. Good luck...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
dude it clicks means battery is dead or a few cells in battery are dead and not enough juice to start her only will run accessories. go for a new bat. u will be happy

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I agree totally with both of the above posts. I would try cleaning the terminals before replacing the battery though because even when the battery was charged, there was still a starting problem, indicating a likely failure in the cables/terminals.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery was fully charged, turned out the clicking noise I was hearing was the positive terminal sparking, I didn't notice it at first, but the + terminal was corroded to ****, repalced it and the car runs like a top

1 - 5 of 5 Posts