DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas..... I have a 99 Plymouth Gr Voy. its on its last leg, top of front strut housings rusting, drinks oil like I drink Beer, 3.3L Its been great so far, but it has 170K. I have 2 children 9 (girl) 6 (boy) and one in the oven. Now I need some serious input. Do I fix, or is there anyway to fix the top of the housings? Is it worth it? Or do I take it out back and put a bullet in it? other question. Wife is very ADAMENT on getting our next van with Stow n Go. Now of course Dodge has it. I see Kia and Honda have it but only in the rear seats. has anyone of you taken a ride in the Honda Odyssey (sp) or Kia Sedona?? If you have are they better than the Dodge? Keep in mind this is going to be my wifes daily driver, so all the bells and whistles have to be there, but as far as maintenance and upkeep, thats my part, so it has to be user friendly under the hood. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Strut mounts can be repaired at most body shops, but if it is using oil ...

Maby you can bs your way into turning it into "clunker" and getting $4500 on trade?

I don't think any import is as user friendly as a domestic.

We just bought a 97 voyager (rallye?) with 106 on it seems to be ok so far!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked into the clunker deal and the only domestic that quals for me is either Dodge/Chry Grands (new of course) with the 4.0L engine. and its only a 3500 rebate. plus my trade in of 1400 max. that would still push my monthly payment of about 350. and change. Unless they are still running the manufacture rebate of 3500 as well.

thanks for the input. I guess I'll look into the the 06 Dodge Gr Caravan SXT 3.8L that I saw listed at the dealer for 13,000.00 with 34K miles on it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The strut housing rust can be fixed with the strut caps that Chrysler makes, not too hard of a fix from what I understand, you glue and install I think 4 screws then paint, or piant them first then install it is up to you., as for oil use is it burning it or leaking???.
If it is leaking (oil pan is a common leak, or rear main with high miles like yours) see what
is will cost to do, pan leak is very easy, rear main you need to drop the trans to get to
a lot of labor for such a cheap part.
Tom

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Sit in mid and rear the stow N go seats. They are like boards, not very comfe in the Carvans or TC. My folks a few years ago got a new TC Limited. And went with the reg seats. Much better for long trips. Not sure on the other brand seats.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Definitely go for the Stow-n-Go. My parents have had two Grand Caravans with it, and while we know we used to get along fine without it, we aren't quite sure how. Also, be sure to go for an '06-'07, since the redesign ruined it slightly (bigger outside, smaller inside, seats aren't as comfortable), and our '05 at least had some pretty irritating reliability. Also, I don't think that CARS works on buying used, but I've been wrong before...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts