DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I realized yesterday that my woofer is toast. Infinty Reference 1020W, and it is no good. Pisses me off.

Anyway, I am seriously thinking about getting this:

HiFonics SQ104

• Size: 10 inch
  • Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.30 - 0.75 cu.ft.
  • Sensitivity: 84.16 dB
  • Frequency Response: 20-500 Hz
  • Recommended RMS Power: 300W
  • Peak Power Handling: 600W
  • Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Mass: 14.5lbs
  • Price: $99.95

Here is the large front view.
Here is the motor assembly.

If anyone can give me a link (no "Oh this is good get this" crap please) of something as good or better for around the same price, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
well i am an avid Audiobahn lackie :biggrin: , i've heard OF hifonics never actually heard them. This sub i have heard and sounds really nice. http://ikesound.com/details_8.asp?id=309 It all depends what size amp and box you currently have or plan to buy, this sub needs a bigger box that the hifonics also would need a more powerful amp to run it. that would be my choice for the prive of sub. Hope i helped a little

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting.

That looks like a great woofer. I've heard a lot about Audiobahn, and it has all been good.

I don't think I'll get it though. I don't have the money to lay our for a more powerful amp at the moment.

Thanks though!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The thing about those Audiobahns with the huge surround is that because the surround is so big, you lose cone area. When you lose cone area, you lose some of the ability to move air. And we all know that bass is just movement of air. But since I've never heard those subs play, I really can't say anything bad about them.

LHSer....how much power is that amp pushing (RMS value please). I'm assuming you're going to bridge it?

I assume you're looking for another 10" ? What size box do you have? Do you plan on using that box, or getting a different one?

Here are some suggestions:
I got these from http://www.justwoofers.com
I would link directly to each woofer, but the webpage isn't set up that way.

JBL GTO (the same one I have) :)
Pioneer TS-W254C

Here are some others (direct links from Sound Domain

DEI Pro+ 210 (only $40!!!!!!)
Orion XTR 10S
Pioneer TS-W254C (only $50!!!!!!!!!)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn that DEI is a nice deal!!

With the amp I'm running I currently put out 150W RMS. Not a lot I know, but it is actually plenty for my needs/application.

The box is a Q Logic single 10" sealed. Very similar to this one.

Now I just need the cashola. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I thought you needed a 12" woofer.... sorry about that. You could probably get a 10" JL W4 for around 100, I've heard 2 12's they sound alright and RMS around 300 so 150 would be fine, your call.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Warlord187 said:
The thing about those Audiobahns with the huge surround is that because the surround is so big, you lose cone area. When you lose cone area, you lose some of the ability to move air. And we all know that bass is just movement of air.
The thing is, what these subs loose in surface area, they gain more in extra excurtion. You'll swear they're gonna pop when you see them move.

LHSer said:
That looks like a great woofer. I've heard a lot about Audiobahn, and it has all been good.

I don't think I'll get it though. I don't have the money to lay our for a more powerful amp at the moment.
Don't forget the Audiobahn's are significantly more efficient (84 db vs 93 db). If you have enough juice for the HiFonics, you should be fine with the Audiobahn.

The Audiobahn is a great speaker! I personally picked the Inifinity Perfect over it (more musical, $40 more), but it really was as tough decision.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yes i was just goin to suggest the Infinity perfect because Rick had decided to get one, i had one before and it sounded great but i sold it to get the Audiobahns. Its a really good buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts