DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Pros+Cons about
After market springs with stock struts(NEW-MOPAR), and a set of 20's on a 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES w/ 3.2L, W/ AutoStick.
I wanna compare the H+R Springs all around, and the Intrax lowering Spring kits.

I know some kits come with spacers for the Frame up front, but wanna know more indepth with other Lh Platform owners, who have already installed their lowering kits, Thanks!

~LUROC~:frenzy:

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
If you know a machinist that can make you the spacers, got with the intrax. If you don't, go H&R. I'd go KYB's for struts, it'll keep it a little more in check.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well i just did the 1.8 drop. i had real bad vibration, then i went to discount and had my tires rebalanced. the viberation is gone. i never installed the spacers. also i used my factory struts and i have a real smooth ride really smooth ride.....
2000 Dodge Intrepid ES w/ 3.2L, W/ AutoStick. same ride same items but are on factory.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
WOW, sucks Brian.

Anyways, I have an H&R lowering kit with the stock springs and 20's. The ride is a bit rough, and I gotta watch out for bumps.....but really everyone who rides in my car thinks it's gonna be a lot worse than it really is.

Pros - looks hot, great cornering
Cons - Acceleration, braking, and fuel mileage suffer, stiffer ride

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Avenger said:
WOW, sucks Brian.

Anyways, I have an H&R lowering kit with the stock springs and 20's. The ride is a bit rough, and I gotta watch out for bumps.....but really everyone who rides in my car thinks it's gonna be a lot worse than it really is.

Pros - looks hot, great cornering
Cons - Acceleration, braking, and fuel mileage suffer, stiffer ride

How can you have the H&R lowering kit with the stock springs? I assume you mean stock struts?

Anyways...

The acceleration, braking, and fuel mileage suffer from your 20s and not from the lowering kit itself. In fact, the stiffer the springs the better the acceleration and braking due to less body movement. It's doubtful anyone would really notice the difference, but it is there.

It certainly is a stiffer ride. But that is what I was going for. It sure does look a whole lot better and the handling is much better, as you have mentioned.

I only have about 30 miles on the stock struts so far. So far so good. I'll be putting almost 800 miles (mostly hiway) on her this weekend though.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the stock 2000 dodge intrepid springs (ES, 3.2 L, w/AS), sag after 175,000 miles on the chassis?. I mean they were fine for a while, its just my struts that are making an empty canister sound when driving, any help would be greatly appreciated.
* I wanna replace struts all around,but wanna know if my springs need replacing as well?
L

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro kit springs with stock struts (and 20's!!!) And I love the ride! A little stiffer of course, but OMG the handling! And the looks! The Eibach kit claims to lower 1 to 1 1/2 inches, but if you look my pics you'll see the tuck looks just as low as ya'lls 1.8 inch drops.
Anyway, my stock struts are riding just fine with the shorter springs. Buying new struts just doesn't make sence if you're only going to throw the stock ones away. Why not get a few more years out of them, and let em ride LOW. They adapt nicely to the new spring height after about a day. And my kit came with motor mount spacers, and a tranny mount spacer, all of which were installed.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
luisa said:
Do the stock 2000 dodge intrepid springs (ES, 3.2 L, w/AS), sag after 175,000 miles on the chassis?. I mean they were fine for a while, its just my struts that are making an empty canister sound when driving, any help would be greatly appreciated.
* I wanna replace struts all around,but wanna know if my springs need replacing as well?
L
Oh, I just noticed your mileage. Yeah, probably strut time. The springs should be fine, but you might as well lower it while you have it apart...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much is one of those "Eibach Pro Kit Springs" Sets?, and how difficult is the INstallation on all hardware?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
luisa said:
How much is one of those "Eibach Pro Kit Springs" Sets?, and how difficult is the INstallation on all hardware?
took me all day and about 10 band aids the rear ones are the hardest.i would say have an extra pair of hands with ya.
if you do it your self you need 2 special toools 1 the strut clam and a special wrench to get the strt apart

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I meant struts, said springs.

Anyways.......I shoulda done it myself, too lazy though, so I paid to have it done (afraid of installing the spacers myself).

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
luisa said:
I paid $219.50 for mine HERE
The spacers were easy, simply loosened the motor and tranny mounts, jacked the motor and tranny together (with a 4x4 piece of wood) up about a half inch, slid the spacers in, let her back down, and tightened the bolts back.
The spring compressors are whats dangerous. They can be deadly if you dont know what you're doing. The springs under compression have enough force to take your head off!
And for the other "special tool" that you need to take off the top strut nuts, well, we made one. Bought an el-cheapo 12pt. deep well socket, cut the top off (where the rachet goes) so we could fit the 10mm socket in on the shaft while turning the "cut" socket on the nut with a monkey wrench (pipe wrench) or large Vice grips will work.
Anyway, there's a "Strut disassembly" thread in the "How To" section I believe...hope this helps

Oh, and like said before, free up a whole day for this. Mitchel On Demand says it should take 4-6 hours I think, but thats at a professional shop, with a lift etc... From start to finish, it took my friend and I about 10 hrs....(with air!) I wouldn't even attempt it without air tools!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
yea i used air tool and 2 jacks 1 for the strut assembly and 1 for the car plus a stand to prevent the car from falling on me. also i used that same trick but i didnt cut the socket, i used a certain size box wrench and slid the 10mm with an extension down the hole where the lug goes for your wrench. and worked just fine....
took me 7 hours to do by my self. i did the 2 front ones and then the 2 rears.. too bad i didnt do a how too but mabey ill do it another time...
good luck

and we want photos damnit :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts