DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
water pump went out while driving, made it home. replaced pump and timing belt (used the kit) both new from NAPA
Lined up the marks before putting on the timing belt. Have done it 3 times! car won't turn over..it tries, but no combustion.
Should I check something else? Should I start over AGAIN?

·
9,861 Posts
Double check timing. Make sure the cam position sensor is still in place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I tested the cam sensor and it tests out fine. can't reach the crank sensor but what I can see looks fine. Checked the spark and have spark, faint smell of gas so appears I have gas flowing...car still won't start. Am I missing something simple???
Should I change the cam sensor anyway???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ya, should have added that i checked the codes, only get the battery one and the test complete one. My husband is stumped and so am I!

·
9,861 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that one of the timing marks is off.

Stupid Question: Did you line up all 3 timing marks? The right cam gear, left cam gear, and crank gear. Don't forget to line up the crank gear to it's timing mark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but they move when you get the tensioner in tight, so had to overcompensate for that but they were still within the dots when we were done. looks like we need to take it all apart again.
2 weeks ago, had the o rings on the cylinder replaced to the tune of 600 bucks, started the car one morning and gas was pouring out of the exhaust! ended up gas was everywhere. was running fine after that fix, until the water pump gave out. will double check all the timing marks again. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have read all threads having to do with timing, they talk about checking it out before we put it all back together again. Can anyone explain how we see if it will start before putting it all back together? Or are we supposed to just turn the crank????
We remove everything...fans, radiator, etc.

·
9,861 Posts
Don't put anything back together untill it starts. There is no reason to. It will run fine with the crank pulley off and the front cover off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, this may sound stupid, but we can try and start it without the radiator back on, etc?

·
9,861 Posts
If you turn it off imediately after it starts.

But you should be able to get to everything with the radiator on. Many do the timing belt change without removing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank You, Thank You! She is up and running! Turns out that the crankshaft had a v chipped out of it and we thought that was the timing mark! Examined it closer tonight and found the real mark! Didn't have to remove radiator, crankshaft or all that other stuff, job was much easier and only took a couple hours! This forum (especially hypnos) was a big help. 210 K and back in business!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts