DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i am getting my liscense in a few months and already setting up races (yes ive been practicing) and im trying ot figure out the best way to start out with a 97 3.3 auto. im tinking put it in drive hold down the brake gas it up to about 5k and let off the brake but then i started to think that wouldnt the revs drop to there normal shift point then shif tor just shift righ tinto second? or should i start out in low then go and keep going til i hit about 6k rpm's then shif to third but wouldnt that be liek shifting form 1rst to third then to drive makes it seem like something would get messed up and slow shifts. ps my first race is against a 4-cyl. saturn lol

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I don't know what kind of brakes you have, but they better be damn good to hold your car in place at those RPMs.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if you've been practicing, shouldn't you already know the best technique?

watch out for those saturns if they're the DOHC 16 valve models. they are quick, especially with a 5 speed. i'm not so sure a 3.3 could take one.

take some typing and grammar practice while you're at it. i think that'd be the greatest service you could do di.net.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
yes, I agree with 97sport.

Stay in school, learn proper english.

Stop posting trash and maybe we will take you seriously and give you a real reply.

Until then you are destined to be an annoyance to us all and we will contunue to make you the butt of our jokes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Maverick9110E said:
so anyone have an answer to my question?
1st you will never get your engine to 5k rpm's in "D" while holding the brakes.

my 3.5L can get upto 2k rpm's when I "brake torque" to launch. The only problem is wheel spin, I don't know about 3.3L's but the 3.5L as way too much low end torque for little 16 inch tires.

Your best bet is to get a nice set of 16's or 17's and "brake torque". If your using normal tires, just floor it and redline through every gear. There's not much else you can do, auto-stick (if you have it) won't help in drag racing and neither will putting the car in "3".

If you floor it, your rpms should drop to 4k everytime the tranny shifts.

(if you intend to drag at a track, then by all means get drag tires, smaller wheel size of course)

Last but not least, 97 Sport Platinum was right, the DOHC Saturn's with a 5 speed will utterly destroy you with a 0-60 time of 8.9 secs and 1/4mile of 16.6secs (not too sure about 1/4mile time). Your car runs 0-60 in 10.3 and 1/4mile in 17.4 secs at best with no mods.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx a lot i apprecaite the help. would it help if i started in L then shiftted to 3 then to D??? i dont think its the saturn your talking about either its the 4 door. (not to keen on the saturn models)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Black94ES said:
will utterly destroy you with a 0-60 time of 8.9 secs and 1/4mile of 16.6secs (not too sure about 1/4mile time). Your car runs 0-60 in 10.3 and 1/4mile in 17.4 secs at best with no mods.
Do you diss the 3.3L every ****ing chance you get or what?

BTW- Starting in L won't help you at all.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You say 4 door sedan right? There is the SL1 and SL2 right? The SL2 has the dohc, just pop the hood and see for yourself. Either way you will lose i'm sure of it unless he is just as bad as you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Someone please answer the darn question!!!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Please, get a few years of driving experience under your belt before racing. You've heard the old expression about learning to walk before you run. Well, it applies to cars too. Your post said, "Need Skill." What you've been given is knowledge, not the same as skill. Skill is developed over time and effort.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
pimped3point3 said:

Do you diss the 3.3L every ****ing chance you get or what?

BTW- Starting in L won't help you at all.
I am not dissing the 3.3L, I'm just giving the guy the facts... he won't beat a DOHC saturn with a 5-speed.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Warlord187 said:
If you have been practicing, than you already know the answer
Please remember that "practicing" does not mean playing video games, we are referring to real world driving.

Nothing is as important as actual seat time to help improve your driving skill.

Not to sound like an old man here but I also agree don't be too eager to race until you learn how to drive. Nothing would suck worse than losing your license or even your life due to a stupid mistake made behind the wheel showing off with your friends.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looked like english to me... english as opposed to what? french? spanish? chinese? I make tons fo typso, I just go back and fix htem.

I agree about the practice thing though. If you don't really know how to take advantage of an automatic, you probably won't be winning at first, and probably shouldn't be racing yet. Of course, I don't race though so I wouldn't exactly know what to tell you. I do know that holding the brake down while stepping on the gas can't be good for the transmission if you do it too much. Hell, racing in general isn't too good for the car, but it's always nice to have fun.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
here is a few tips for ya that I learned from experience:

1. turn off as many accesories as you can, radio, heater, a/c, etc.

2. mash the brake pedal as far as it goes and hold it there while holding the gas pedal to just above the RPM's where your engine gets its peak torque (that info can be found on websites)

3. when the light turns green, release the brakes as fast as possible, and mash that gas pedal to the floor!

there is something I noticed in my first gen 3.5, because of the torque, if I dont follow the above technique and just nail the gas pedal as soon as the light turns green (on the strip of course :) ) I just get massive wheelspin

GOOD LUCK !!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
if I do a brakestand like you describe i peel the tires bald & that's with a 3.3 (i have goodyear eagle tires so they are not **** tires either)

here is how I do it, brakestand just enough so you get a good wholeshot(barley chirp tires) and then punch it after you get going, get the timing down so when you punch it you barley chirp the tires. works great on my 3.3

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
that makes sense bryan, however, I noticed that in my 3.5 I get more wheelspin if I just nail it versus brake-torquing it as hard as possible (highest RPM's). for some reason unknown to me, the suspension just bogs if I nail it, however, it feels like it squats if I brake-torque it. I wonder why that is?

·
Registered
724 Posts
i do brakestand, but i can not just flat out punch it as you do otherwise i spin out badly & slide to the right, that is why i chirp the tires & then chirp them again so i get almost no wasted power

1 - 20 of 20 Posts