DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got issues that have recently come up that I need some help with.

1. I get a clicking sound when I turn the wheel. From my reading on the site I believe it to be the CV boots/joints. And again from my reading I should just go ahead and buy the whole CV Half Shaft instead of replacing the boots. My question is... is there anything else I should go ahead and replace or give some attention to and avoid some future issues?

2. When I start from a stand-still there is a strange grinding noise that comes from the front somewhere. I wish I could describe it better than that. I have tried a few times to get a good sound clip to post on here, but so far they have not come out the way I want them to. But until I am able to post the sound bite, any ideas of where I should be looking to figure out my problem. Like I said it only does it from a stand still and it is only for a sec or so and then it goes away. If I give the car some gas and take off more quickly then I also don't get any noise.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
You probably have a bad CV joint, yes... Just to clarify, you say it clicks when turning... I suppose you mean that while driving, and go around a corner, you hear a clicking and popping... yes, that is CV joints. If you are NOT rolling, and you turn the wheel, then that is something other than CV joints going bad.

Yes, if you already have clicking in the joint, there is no point to replacing the boot only, just buy a whole axle. Many of us have had GREAT luck with RockAuto.com. I personally have had good luck with both Autozone and Advance Auto, as well as the Irish Mafia too.

The only things that I can of to maybe change while you are in there would be a ball joint/lower control arm, but really, there isn't much you can do to prevent a CV joint from failing...

As for the scraping, it sounds like maybe you have a brake pad that has gone bad on you, and you just need a front brake job. If you want to do this your self, it is very easy to do. If you want, an idea you could do is to take the car to Midas or Mieneke and see if they have a 'free brake inspection' to get an idea of what is going bad...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You probably have a bad CV joint, yes... Just to clarify, you say it clicks when turning... I suppose you mean that while driving, and go around a corner, you hear a clicking and popping... yes, that is CV joints. If you are NOT rolling, and you turn the wheel, then that is something other than CV joints going bad.
Yes you are correct...The clicking I hear when turning the wheel is while driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.