DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know I'm always having little problems I need help with, but thats mainly what people post about, so here goes: I recently made a sale on eBay in which I sold the 4 Disc CD Changer unit and cable for $100 with free USPS Priority Shipping (came to about $15) with no insurance. The customer just today e-mails me saying he has recieved the package, and tried to install it, and cannot get it to work. Here is an excerpt:

I received the 4 disc changer I bought from you off of ebay. It does not work, also it sounds like there a cd's stuck in there, and the screws for the face look to be tampered with meaning someone tried to fix it. I would like a full refund for this, or will approach paypal with a buyer complaint. Please respond ASAP.

I am 99.5% that I removed every CD from the changer before removing it during my audio installs. I double-checked EVERYTHING before I screwed everything together. Also, the only time I EVER touched a screw on it was to remove it from the dash, and can honestly say I never tried to open it, and never had a need to try to fix it. I tried not to be an asshole in my e-mail back but I tried to help the guy out before admitting fault in any way. The unit worked flawlessly before it was removed and I told him I can only guarantee its condition until it goes into the postal system, because he never requested or was offered shipping insurance. Is this correct? Also, is there any reason that the unit would not work, even if the guy had the correct cable ends and such? I told him its possible he has a unit that does not have CD changer controls, but that would mean it wouldn't have the cable port, right? Could anyone give me some advice on this topic? I don't want to be rude to the guy but I would hate to have to give money back for something I can't control.

Josiah

·
Registered
467 Posts
you are in the right, the complaint will fall in your favor. he is guessing that there's a CD stuck in there, he obviously has no clue of what he's talking about if he can't actually figure out of the CD is stuck or not.

he didn't ask for insurance, so you didn't provide it, shipping is his problem. if it worked fine when it left your house, it's his fault.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured, I just wanted to make sure I was in the right before spouting out about it. I told him in the auction and in that e-mail that I guarantee it works and I put it directly from the car, to storage and didn't let the dog play with it or anything lol. No CDs should be in it, and the way I love my music, I wouldn't let someone else have my CDs lol. I've always tried to be fair about eBay but I'd be pissed if the guy either takes the money and doesn't return the changer, or he does return it and I try it again and it works fine. Either way I'll see what he says and hope he doesn't cause me too much trouble. And I probably made the marks on the screws simply from removing them, or the previous owner installed it or removed it. Thanks for the help, bud.

Josiah

·
Woober Goobers!
50,363 Posts
Sounds like you're Fu**ed. Paypal will side withe the wiener boy. Better save your pennies.

·
Registered
753 Posts
intrepid1994 said:
i have sold many things on ebay and bought several things but return shipping cost is there problem , but most elect type items are as is[/QUOTE

AGREED... usually return shipping is the buyers responsibility. Ask him to return ship the item (insured) at his expense before offering up a refund.

sometimes it is not worth the effort to ship it back....

good luck and keep us posted as the outcome

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
As a matter of law the seller is responsible for an item until it arrives in the buyer's hands. The shipper is acting as an agent for the seller. Obviously any of this can be change by a PRE-SALE disclaimer.

You have every right to ask him to pay shipping until you get to look at the item and test it. Once you test it IF it is good with no defects you need tp refund his money buy you do NOT have to refund the shipping. If it is defective you really need to refund shipping. All this is differenmt of course if you choose to accuse him of damaging the item.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Also make sure to tell him that you DID log the serial number on the device just incause he tries to switch his old one back to you.

---Gorm

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Oh, and paypal will not do ANYTHING if you can prove that you shipped and that he received. He might come back and make a "Not as represented" thing. If you make a good argument to paypal, saying that he broke it or whatever, they will NOT refund any money.

All really paypal cares about is that the item got shipped to the guy.

--Gorm

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm with Gorm. If you can document that it's in his hands, eBay has pretty obvious disclaimers about electronic items being sold as is.

Compromise - he ships it back to you, cost on him, and you try to make it work. Document that it still works or there was damage now that was not there, and ship it back to him. Send paypal this information. If he sends you something back with the wrong serial number, take a picture of the serial number and send it to paypal, it'll show he's a scammer and not only save you your money, they'll pwn him and stop him from trying it to other people.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The guy really didn’t tell you anything in that excerpt you posted. What does, "it does not work", mean? That’s about as vague as you can get. Does it not open to load the CD's? Does it make the noise immediately on power up?
He said its making a noise like a CD is stuck inside. He might as well say it sounds like a leprecon in there making noise if he didn’t take a look.
Is it too hard for him to look in there and see if something is stuck?
Some people are completely helpless.

I had Paypal favor me once but I never received the item I bought. If you present an intelligent argument in your defense to Paypal you should be ok.

What is the Ebay rating of the guy that bought the changer?

-GB49

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the tips guys! Also to answer some questions, I did ask the buyer to tell me what exactly was happening, if any lights were coming on, if he noticed any other sounds, but he just ignored my attempt to help and kept trying to make me mad. I think he's being very immature about the whole thing. Also, I do have some pictures of the sticker with the numbers on it. I tried to be mature and sound very intelligent about the changer, as I have had 2 of these cars with the same changer, so I know a smidge more than the average joe. The kinda dumb part is the guy gives paypal a (literally) page long complaint and I only get 2 little boxes of 200 characters each to fill. Oh well, if the guy wins, he gets his money back, and if I win, I get to keep his money. Whatever happens, happens. But I have been on the other end of the situation before when a seller sent me the wrong speakers for my car and they wouldn't fit because they were the wrong size and a completely different series of speaker, and he never responded, so I gave the paypal complaint a try and got my money back even before I sent the speakers back. So I just don't want him to get his refund while he still has the changer, because he seems like the type who would try to keep it.

Josiah

Josiah

·
Registered
195 Posts
well i dont know much about the changer but it does have a din cable right? if so, some of the 1g have those in the back of them, and no control for it, so he could just have the wrong car.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
O man that sux. Maybe the sound is coming from the changer moving the cd cases around. Tell him to try loading a cd in there. LOL

Do u have any pics of the unit from the auction? You should have the serial number in the pics. Just in case he does try to screw around with it.

The screws being tampered with means nothing, he could have done that when he got it since he "assumed" that the cd changer is broken.

I hope you get this sorted out, i normally take a lot of pics in case stuff like this happens. Just sux that it happened to you.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats actually a really good point... on my old 00 ES cd changer it did make a kind of crinkly, shifty sound when searching for a cd or just changing cds around. Maybe he never had a cd changer and freaked out when he heard a noise coming from it lol. I hope I don't have to give his money back, i ironically have to finish my current audio project with some of that cash.

Josiah

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any FBI guys out there can help me read the numbers on this picture? Unfortunately I discovered the close-up function AFTER i sold the cd changer. I'll stare at it until my eyes bleed and then i'm going to bed.

Heres what I see: P 04858522 and T 00 AM 180 0 NO198

Which numbers should I check if i have to make sure its the same one upon having it returned to me?

PS. Excuse the huge picture.

Josiah

·
Registered
843 Posts
I wouldnt give this guy a dime back as long as what you say it true. He claims there was a cd stuck in there and there was not.Then he claims that the screws have been tampered with.This moron thought there was a cd stuck,took it apart trying to fix it.He took it apart-He owns it. Dont waste your time with this guy.Warn his sorry ass that if it has been tampered with that he lost his original shipping,hes paying in FULL for the changer,he lost his return shipping and if he wants it back after you confirm its been tampered with he has to pay shipping to get it back. For all you know this guy might have some smarts and swapped the inside or took what he needed out of yours.

[email protected] him!

You can also get one of those markers that only show under a black light to eliminate the is it the one I sent problem.The local yard I go to marks the screws too like this on electrical items.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts