DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a bit of an issue here... and I am too high on caffeene right now to think straight.

I had some "issues" with my tires... lemme explain here.

Lets just say that this is the way my car started when I first got it, and ill label each tire by a number

3----1
4----2

Where tire 1 is the front driver side, tire 2 is the front passenger side, in all instances... the car is fasing right. Tire 5 is my spare.

A few months ago, my drivers front tire blew out, had a nail. I had the tire patched... but since I didnt want to drive with a patched tire... I used my full spare (number 5) and replaced it permanently. I also had the dealer do a rotation at the same time so the tire configuration as it stands currently is...

5----4
2----3

(I believe when rotating.... you swap the tires moving to the front of the car, and the ones on the front just shift back which is why 4 and 3 are on different sides on the front compared when they were on the rear. Correct me if im wrong, but even if they are reversed... it doesnt make a difference for this example.

Thanks to my clumsiness..... I hit a curb with the current number 3 tire. I have some scratches on the 3 wheel on the lip that are annoying me. I went out and bought on ebay a matching wheel and tire (seller said tire only had 350 miles on it and I believe it cause the tread is excellent). Lets call this new tire.... tire number 6 for example's sake.

Now the question is... I want to put this tire on the car to replace number 3 thats scratched. Should I just put it at number 3 location? Or should i replace number 3 but organize/rotate my tires a certain way? I could buy a new tire to replace the "plugged" tire number 1 and match it with this new wheel I have, but that would cost a good $180 which I really don't have right now. ;)

What do you guys think? These tires were rotated when tire 1 blew... at about 7000 miles. The car has 10500 miles now so tires 2 3 and 4 have 10500 miles on them, and tire 5 has about 3500 or so. New tire 6 has about 350 miles on it.

Lemme know. Is it easy to move a tire from one wheel to another? How should I do this? My tire rotation is already messed up cause of the blown tire.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Put the different tire on the back. If you have different tire wear on the front it may cause a pull and other issues. On the rear it is being pulled along. Best would be to get another new tire to match the one and put them together.
5----4
2----3
is now.

6-----4
2------5.
This way 5 still follows proper rotation.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
screw it, I don't believe in rotating tires on a FWD. On a front driver, the rear tires will last about 2-3 times longer than the fronts, so instead of rotating tires, I just buy a new pair for the front when I need them. This way you have good tread on the front where you need it most, and the rear tires will still have good tread on 'em.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts