DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I can either rotate my fronts to my back (back tires are fine)......OR buy a new set of 2 front tires 245/45/17......I would like to buy a set that doesn't wear as fast as the stock Michelins do.......but have better grip, is that possible? My stock fronts are nearly done after a year and a half.......don't do many burnouts or stuff like that, 30,000km (less than 20,000 miles)......back tires are still going strong.........gonna rotate em soon, but wondering if there is a tire out there that will give me better grip, less wear and isn't too expensive (am I asking for too much? :))

Thinking about either BF Goodrich or Michelin tires.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Khumo 712, cheap, good grip BUT 40-50,000KM Life...

you can get them for 150-180 can$ each.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It's hard to get good grip and long life. Better grip comes with softer compounds, longer life comes with harder compounds. It sounds like you need to rotate your tires more often. With my Toyos I rotate every 5k miles or so (every oil change) and they still are about worn out after only a year (~25k mi) of use. I don't do burnouts with them, but I do take corners hard... :D

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read that Kuhmo's weren't great compared to BF Goodrich G-force tires

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
look at some yokohama's. mine are supposed to last 80k, then have good trac. and great grip. i have yk420's..so does the 300M.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I think I can rotate 'em and they will last on the back until the other tires wear out after another 30000km, but then I'll need 4 new tires for sure :(

·
Registered
217 Posts
A friend of mine bought a set of Kuhmo 245-50-16 Ecsta Supra, a 40K mile performance tire with Aqua Tread design, which he religiously rotated every 3000 miles. Lasted him 58K
I have since bought a set and will never go back to Goodyear, these tires where purchased for $440.00 which included installation. They grip like glue, what surprised me the most was their exceptional handling on wet roads.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Had Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on my Turbo Eclipse and a relative of mine had them on his late model Toyota Supra Turbo (Heavily modded). They wear out faster than grandpa on a hot 18 year old blond. But then again, I don't know if you driving your R/T is as abusive as me driving my Eclipse. I agree that they provide excellent grip, both wet and dry, especially for the money. BUT, if you plan on using them year round, forget it. They don't provide any kind of traction at all in the snow.

I went with Yokohama's on my Intrepid this last time. They provide better grip all around than the Eagle GT II's I replaced with them. With an 80,000 mile treadlife warranty and a damn good price tag, it makes it a great deal. Plus, Yokohamas usually have a 30-day ride guarantee, that if you don't like them, you can return them.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Avenger said:
Well I think I can rotate 'em and they will last on the back until the other tires wear out after another 30000km, but then I'll need 4 new tires for sure :(
I highly recommend you do one of two things. Either get two more Michelin Pilots, or get four new tires. Putting two different tires on the car can give you driving/handling irregularities.

Good reading.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/knowtire.htm

I bought me some Kumho Ecsta STX from Tire Rack about a month ago. The noise level is about the same as the Pilots. The ride comfort is also about the same as the Pilots. I have noticed that in real cold temps after the car has been sitting a while, the ride seems a little hard for a few minutes until the tires warm up. No big deal really. Handling is just awesome! I've only been in snow instances so far, but they handle good (not enough snow experience with these tires to form a final conslusion). Wet and dry handling with these tires is just phenominal! I hightly recommend these tires if you can get them. I only paid $92US each, but I have no idea how much they would go for in Canada. Worth taking a good hard look at I think.

I can't comment on tire wear other than they have an excellent rating on Tire Rack and they have a wear rating of 400 which is almost as good as it gets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The stock tires that came on my 02 R/T are Michelin Pilots which are a top of the line performance tire. As long as you rotate the tires every 5000 miles, check your tire pressure every month for proper inflation, and get a balance and alignment once a year, your tires should wear evenly and prolong the life of the rubber.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Those Michelin MXM4 tires they put on there are far from top of the line. They don't stick worth crap. Mine gave out arount 15-20k miles. They were worn evenly, but worn badly. They new Toyos I bought had less than half the tread wear rating and have lasted just as well, but with way more grip and stability...

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AGREED, I currently have 30000km on the wheels and only the front 2 are worn out (even tread wear), the back tires are in GREAT shape, gonna rotate em and will prob end up with about 60000km on the set before they are totally gone

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got a set of Goodyear Eagle GA's and I don't like them.......they were on the car when I bought them.
50,000 km on them and they are just about bald. They don't stick near as much as I would like them to.
Putting a set of Khumo's on my car. good quality for a pretty good price......and when I lose a tire, I always replace two at a time, four at a time if I got the money.....

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
One thing I don't have any problems with is the tires that came with my car. They are the Good Year Eagle GT's. Have rotated them twice in 33K miles and they seem to be wearing fine. I think they have another 20 or 30K miles in them easy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Warlord187 said:

I highly recommend you do one of two things. Either get two more Michelin Pilots, or get four new tires. Putting two different tires on the car can give you driving/handling irregularities.

Good reading.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/knowtire.htm

I bought me some Kumho Ecsta STX from Tire Rack about a month ago. The noise level is about the same as the Pilots. The ride comfort is also about the same as the Pilots. I have noticed that in real cold temps after the car has been sitting a while, the ride seems a little hard for a few minutes until the tires warm up. No big deal really. Handling is just awesome! I've only been in snow instances so far, but they handle good (not enough snow experience with these tires to form a final conslusion). Wet and dry handling with these tires is just phenominal! I hightly recommend these tires if you can get them. I only paid $92US each, but I have no idea how much they would go for in Canada. Worth taking a good hard look at I think.

I can't comment on tire wear other than they have an excellent rating on Tire Rack and they have a wear rating of 400 which is almost as good as it gets.
Hmm . . . according to Tire Rack specs, they have a 320 AA rating. Still very good, but not close to 400.

Kumho Ecsta:

SIZE, SERV. DES., LOAD RATING:225/55VR17 97V SL
UTQG: 320 A A
MAX LOAD: 1609lbs.
MAX PRESSURE: 51psi
TREAD DEPTH: 11/32nds
RIM WIDTH RANGE: 6-8"
MEAS. RIM WIDTH: 7"
SECT WIDTH: 9.9"
TREAD WIDTH: NA
OVERALL DIA.: 26.7"
RPM: NA

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Just got some goodyear aquatred 3's that have amazing all weather grip, great handling in the turns, and a 110k kilometer guarantee.. 80k miles.

Here are some interesting pics I took of the tires.

This pen is just a regular bic pen, half an inch thick or so. Layed in one groove.

Same pen, but layed flat on the top of the tire.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm very happy with my new Yokohama Avid Touring tires. Grand total of $250.. installed.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
So, just by listening in on this thread, I conclude that tires come down to personal taste and what you're willing to spend. Am I right? Or is there a tire that just plain sucks and/or one that's clearly superior?

I have no complaints about the Michelin Pilots that came with the R/T, but what do I know, it's not like I'm swapping tires every few weeks to compare them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts