DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've started college, which is a 45 min drive from home, plus the fact that I work on the opposite side of town means I'll be doing a lot of driving. Hell, I put 140 miles on the Intrepid today! That 35 miles to school, and back home, then back up later on. The Intrepid gets okay mileage, about 23. I'm thinking about getting a smaller car, I really dont need a big size car like the Intrepid, as much as I like it. I'll probabily end up selling both the Intrepid and Sable. I'm probabily going to buy another 2.5 4cyl Chrysler as I know those cars inside out and they get good mileage.

I love my Intrepid, but the steering is still a little out of wack, it needs an axle and rear tires soon. I dumped almost 2K in repairs on that car allready. But I really dont need such a big car.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
There is really nothing to post, you left no questions. What you wrote was just something telling us your thoughts...

If we are going to respond, I would get rid of both cars, the Intrepid seems to be costing you more thant you would like it to and who really needs two cars? I know insurance has to be horrible for you. Do what you are planning.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
There is really nothing to post, you left no questions. What you wrote was just something telling us your thoughts...

If we are going to respond, I would get rid of both cars, the Intrepid seems to be costing you more thant you would like it to and who really needs two cars? I know insurance has to be horrible for you. Do what you are planning.
who needs 2 cars? its good to have more then 1 working car/truck

depends how much does the car mean to you? if it really means alot,you would want to keep it.use it as a personal toy... and insurance is less on that, reason you would put less miles on it and its your secondary car... pl pd on it not looking too much of a insurance jump at all if any....good luck with your choice...

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Intrep_ED said:
Sell the Sable, Buy a used Neon, and keep the Trep at home for the weekends!
Just my $.02
Could be the year, but the wife's 99 Neon 4 door gets about 1-2 mpg more than my trep when driven the same way around town. In fact, on the highway, it does worse being that it has to to work so freakin hard to maintain 75 mph.

If the goal is to save money on gas, a neon isn't that much of an upgrade around town.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You are going to hate yourself for getting rid of the trep man, i'm tellin ya. I second that on the Neon's mpg...not as good as you would think. My mother had one and only 3-5 mpg more than the trep I have now. I can't recommend a 4 cylender to you because I don't know much about them, but I would sell the Sable and get a 4 that has really good mpg.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
if you like the intrepids... could always sell both and buy a second gen or mabey a 300m....

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
lol Gas mileage is over rated man, I drive the Firebird all over town and leave the Intrepid at home.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Matt, with as much as you have put into your Trep, I can't believe you would give up on her! I think I would also sell the sable, and get something a little more eficient, and keep the Trep, btw yours is one of the nicer 1st gens.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
i would never go from a 6 cycl car down to a 4. There isnt any power to pass somone with a 4cyc. I would keep the trep. im sure next summer gas prices with freakin go through the roof again. im predicting over 3.89 a gallon. they probably wanna see how much we are willing to pay before we stop driving and boycott the gas for a while. but as of now gas is 1.89 a gallon. wow as i type that it showed on tv that the price of a barrel went to 60 bucks a barrel. amazing after the summer gas drops. They made there billions in 4 months. Wish i could make that. anyways back to the car. Nothing wrong with a big car man. i would sell the sable. dont see to many of those on the road anymore.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
When I started college I was commuting 45 miles to school, 35 miles to work, and 30 miles back to home(oddly shapped triangle) totals 110 miles. Some times I was commuting to school, then work, then back to school and then home totals 160 miles.

I did it all either in the Intrepid or the 300M
with the Intrepid (3.2L) I was able to average 28 Mpg (if I didnt drive like a maniac on occasion I could get 30Mpg)
with the 300M (3.5L) I was able to average 25 Mpg(if I didnt burn out on campus, 27 was an acheivable average.

·
Registered
686 Posts
stroise said:
i would never go from a 6 cycl car down to a 4. There isnt any power to pass somone with a 4cyc. I would keep the trep. im sure next summer gas prices with freakin go through the roof again. im predicting over 3.89 a gallon. they probably wanna see how much we are willing to pay before we stop driving and boycott the gas for a while. but as of now gas is 1.89 a gallon. wow as i type that it showed on tv that the price of a barrel went to 60 bucks a barrel. amazing after the summer gas drops. They made there billions in 4 months. Wish i could make that. anyways back to the car. Nothing wrong with a big car man. i would sell the sable. dont see to many of those on the road anymore.
Total B.S

I have a new 06 Civic coupe 5 spd manual and it's much quicker than my Intrepid was off the line. To pass, I just drop it into 4th and give it the gas and it goes like a little rocket around what I am passing.

almost 40 mpg on the highway is an added bonus too

·
Registered
686 Posts
some numbers...

Intrepid RT (3.5) - 0-60 8.23 sec. 1/4 mile 16.31 sec.

Intrepid 3.2 - 0-60 8.9 sec. 1/4 mile 16.7 sec.
Intrepid 2.7 - 0-60 10.3 sec 1/4 mile 17.5

06 Honda Civic (1.8 4 cyl.)

coupe - 0-60 8.18 sec. 1/4 mile 16.4 sec.
sedan - 0-60 9.52 sec. 1/4 mile 17.31 sec

yep, those 4 cylinders are just soooooo much slower LMAO.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm with Boltuprite. Even this old beater '87 Honda Accord LX-I with a 4 cylinder that I'm driving around will average me 30 mpg (no kidding) around town. And I'm also willing to put it up against a 2.7 Trep anyday.

And if anyone wants to know, yes I do miss my Trep but I don't miss the $400+/mo payments (car payment + insurance). This lil Honda beater suits me just fine.

·
Registered
686 Posts
yeah not much diff. A Neon, or even a Cavalier will perform just fine. While I do agree that 4 cyl; automatics can be bruttaly slow to acelearte, generally todays small 4 cyl engines mated to a manual gear box will give you all the power you need.

You also have to consider a Neon or Civic or Corolla weigh a hell of a lot less than an Intrepid or Concorde

1 - 20 of 42 Posts