DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi ! i will start putting a lot of leds in my car (no neons for me ). I had 2 neons till now wired on the electricity that lights up the PRND3L near the shifter.. i would like to know if it is safe to wire 20 or more leds to that place without burning something out. And is there fuse for that spot ? thank you. sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Ok, so it'll be fused at the fuseblock, but you can always add a fuse to keep things safe.
My father is an electrician, yet I pick up nothing LOL. I'm sure someone with higher knowledge of the subject will intervene :D

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
LED's use next to nothing for power, and do not create much heat at all. You shouldn't need extra power or extra fuses at all for 20 LED's.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You can use the same power circuit to run 10 times that amount of LED's with no problem. I have over 90 in my third tail light alone with no changes done to the electrical.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
LOUD98ES said:
LED's use next to nothing for power, and do not create much heat at all. You shouldn't need extra power or extra fuses at all for 20 LED's.
Yes, LEDs do use little power, but that's because the forward voltage is somewhere around 5v depending on color. Keep in mind that to knock the ~13.8v to ~5v you have to drop somewhere around 8v across a resistor, which will dissipate a considerable amount of power. Forward current also depends on color but is typically around 20mA. 20 leds at 20mA a piece and you're close to a half an amp. I'm not sure what the lights next to the shifter are connected to, but if they're on a dedicated circuit I'm sure it is designed for extremely low current. I would check to see what that circuit connects to before tapping into it.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys, 5 green leds use 2.1v each @ 20mA so the resistor i need is ~650ohm.Thank you for the replies. Anyone has a guide on how to take off that thing under the steering wheel to put my switches on it ? pretty much like PowerPro did it...

and if anyone wants to know what i plan on using ... heres some pics..
switches...

leds..

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUMP ! BUMP ! BUMP !

nismoGT-R said:
Thank you guys, 5 green leds use 2.1v each @ 20mA so the resistor i need is ~650ohm.Thank you for the replies. Anyone has a guide on how to take off that thing under the steering wheel to put my switches on it ? pretty much like PowerPro did it...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
To take off that piece there are a few screws on the side under the fuse covert. Take those out and just pull it off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts