DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
I bought an engine once out of a front end wreck - and yes, it changed how the ballancer pulley was pressed onto the core of the pulley assembly... But it has a visible wobble to it - it was really obvious! Check it out and take a look.

Otherwise... what about when the car is under load? I wonder if the AC issue is because the engine loads up just slightly.

In the bigger GM engines in the trucks, the intake throttle body throttle plate can become covered in carbon deposits, and causes a rough idle that goes away under load - we took the intake hose off, and sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body and on the throttle plate, with someone kinda feathering the pedal in the car to keep it running... you could see the carbon deposits break up and wash away, and when everything was clean (and the shop smelled funny of burned carb cleaner!) the engine purred like new.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought an engine once out of a front end wreck - and yes, it changed how the ballancer pulley was pressed onto the core of the pulley assembly... But it has a visible wobble to it - it was really obvious! Check it out and take a look.

Otherwise... what about when the car is under load? I wonder if the AC issue is because the engine loads up just slightly.

In the bigger GM engines in the trucks, the intake throttle body throttle plate can become covered in carbon deposits, and causes a rough idle that goes away under load - we took the intake hose off, and sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body and on the throttle plate, with someone kinda feathering the pedal in the car to keep it running... you could see the carbon deposits break up and wash away, and when everything was clean (and the shop smelled funny of burned carb cleaner!) the engine purred like new.

thanx for ur info i will try that today.... the wen the ac is on the idle picks up to around 800 to 900 rpm..... with ac off the the idle jumps between 500 and 700 rpm is really weird we have check for vaccum leaks and nothing.... i removed the maf and it was like new....

·
15,449 Posts
The engine this was on was in a 2006, I think, 5.x something in a Suburban. The tube was right at the intake and throttle body, not down near the air cleaner where the MAF was (on this model). This was a "fly by wire" car, so no throttle cable you could pull to open the plate and clean it - made it a pickle to really clean nice since you couldn't force the throttle plate open manually.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine this was on was in a 2006, I think, 5.x something in a Suburban. The tube was right at the intake and throttle body, not down near the air cleaner where the MAF was (on this model). This was a "fly by wire" car, so no throttle cable you could pull to open the plate and clean it - made it a pickle to really clean nice since you couldn't force the throttle plate open manually.
yeah my car has electric throttle ...... i let you know what happen

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cleaned the throttle body....... i got the same problem..... ... any thing else i can check..... the weird thing is when i turn ac on is very rare to feel the vibration....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the vibration you can feel it only at idle ....i can feel the vibration every 5 seconds... when the car is gear is less vibration but is more noticible when car is in park or neutral

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,426 Posts
How about engine mount problems, maybe a mount is sagging with no torque applied and transferring vibration to the car body....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i forgot to mention scince i got this vibrtion.... i am having late shifts from 1st to 2nd...... and i can feel the vibration in drivers seat only..... when i open the hood i see the engine vibration...

·
15,449 Posts
Vacuum leaks, check spark plugs, have a friend help you check the engine mounts yourself (having someone put their foot on the brake, and with the hood up and you watching, see if the engine jumps forward or backward when they put it into gear - again, holding the brakes down solid).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vacuum leaks, check spark plugs, have a friend help you check the engine mounts yourself (having someone put their foot on the brake, and with the hood up and you watching, see if the engine jumps forward or backward when they put it into gear - again, holding the brakes down solid).
actually yes when i shift from prak to reverse or to drive ... i can see the engine move back and foward but i though that was normal...

·
15,449 Posts
Depends on how far it rocks - but that sounds like mounts may be suspect - or on the edge of 'o.k.' The engine isn't clunking back and forth (very worn out), but if the mounts have gone a little worn, you'll feel different vibrations at different RPM (frequency of vibration).

You could try wedging a pry bar into the mount (or something, don't know the shape) when it is vibrating, and see if you can make the vibration change significantly.

If you are on a strict budget, you can take the mounts out and fill them with some sort of liquid rubber - The best thing is urethane window glue, sometimes called window weld. Good ole' silicone caulking may even have some effect on it.

Or, just pick up some cheap mounts and drive smooth!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanx for ur help taking the car on thurday to a local mechanic ... see what finds ..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts