DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day when I decided to press on the brake pedal I heard a noise that sounded like pressurized air being pushed out. I looked under the car and saw that the line had rusted at one of the mounting clips. Also there was a large puddle of DOT 3 brake fluid on the ground. I began to search on the internet to find a replacement. However, the only ones I found didn't look like the fit and looked like they were for ABS. Mine doesn't have 4 wheel ABS. I was hoping you guys know if there are any replacement lines for the 2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT w/o abs. If you are wondering the car doesn't have a license plate yet. So, I have never actually driven it yet. I need it to be in good working order so I can have it pass inspection. I you know where to find brake lines for a Intrepid w/o ABS. Please comment below. Thanks! I will be replacing all of the lines because I don't want to deal with another one of them blowing out on the road.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Need to know which line it is exactly. Going from where to where?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am mainly looking for the rear brake lines. The one's going to the rear left wheel and the one going to the rear right wheel. I haven't looked at the front left and right brake lines yet. However, I might replace them too. As of now though, the rear left and right brake lines are the one's I am looking for.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
05083038AA 1 TUBE, Brake, Right Rear
05083039AA 1 TUBE, Brake, Left Rear

These are the long lines going from front to rear of the car.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Looks like they're available for purchase from your local dealer or online discount dealers.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
EDIT: Didn't see Ronbo's post until I posted.

Rock Auto may have them, but their shipping costs are really high on them because they come in a large coil (over-size package). Last year, I had a local dealer search for them thru Chrysler's network, and there were still some in the network. The nice thing about finding them in the Chrysler network is they will transport them to your dealer with no shipping cost. The part prices were slightly higher, but without shipping cost, they netted out significantly cheaper than from Rock Auto.

BUT - be aware. If your lines to the rear rusted out, don't be surprised if all the other brake lines are ready to fail - likely heavily pitted - depth of the pits slightly less than the wall thickness.

Reactions: Ronbo

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
That's the Pits !!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the video here shows the splitter I am talking about. Thanks for the suggestions! By the way is there a difference between the lines for the ABS System and the regular lines.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
The differences are between the lines from the junction block and ABS module.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will do it next year though since I have a daily driver and the car still doesn't have a license plate yet. Its just going to have to stay in the snow this time.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
$100 plus for each of those rear lines depending on where you get them from. As Peva stated....the local dealer option is the way to go. Even buying from online discount dealers you'll get hit with a huge shipping cost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True I did consider looking to discount dealers, then I saw the large shipping cost and I thought there is no point to going to them for it.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
If you use the pre-formed rear lines, you have to remove four bolts attaching the rear suspension cradle to get the lines routed the way they need to be without ruining them with kinks.

I think some people have bought a couple of rolls of brake tubing and made up their own lines using tube bending and flaring tools.

Expect a few nuisance problems along the way, such as with the screws and speednuts attaching the rear sway bar bushing brackets to the body. You can buy the speednuts, but you'll lose some time in getting corroded hardware removed (wringing the screws off, getting the old speednuts out of the blind pocket to make room for the new ones, etc.) - the usual kinds of setbacks that come with working on cars this old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never even knew about this. Thanks for telling me about it. When the time comes, I will speak with my father about doing it ourselves or just having a mechanic do it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts