DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You never run away from the Chrysler virus I guess...

Finally I ended up buying the 300M I was previously talking about, low mileage being its main argument...

It's a 2000 model, metallic gray, 3.5L engine, halogen headlights, with only 39'800km (24'875 miles).
Interrior is clean except a cigaret burn on the rooftop... And a few minor exterior things. I'll take more photos if these latter.

Now show time! (with my friend Robin's 2002 Camaro 3.8L manual trans)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds good, I love coffe ;)
Btw, more pics from this morning untill my phone lamentably ran out of juice while I was taking pictures of the inside...

Cold morning even here, near the French Riviera ^^

On each side, there is one sprinkler missing... It's a PITA because water runs through the easiest path... Do you know where I could find some?

Biggest dent on this baby!

And a nice view of the right side.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys !

Just a follow up... The stealership I bought the car from told me they had all maintenance record on this car. But I found out the ONLY record they actually have contains :
- Oil change
- Oil/Air filters
- Accessory belts
- Parking brake adjustment
- Light bulb replacement

No timing belt replacement here!
I tried to talk to them about it and first they were like "it's a chain, don't worry kid"... They finally read the docs "correctly" and then said "if the belt fails, there won't be any damage to the engine as it's protected against that"...
At this point, I jumped out of my nerves... A dealership saying that kind of bullshit???

So I took the car back this morning for another (free) "check-up". They replaced the alternator belt (why again?) and told me I could reach 200'000 miles on this belt... WHAT THE HECK?
Oh and Fiat doesn't make the sprinkler parts anymore. Front door speaker (Infinity) are also dead, I glued the foam to make them less noisy last week.

I'm really pissed off right now...
And seriously considering changing the belt with my friend. Is the Rockauto kit (Gates #TCKWP295) good enough?
Being there, what else shoud I do? (PCV, filters and Mobil oil are already on my list)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
In their defense. When this 3.5 was first designed it was supposed to be made with reliefs cut into the piston heads to avoid the valve damage. Some literature and even MasterTech Videos claim this to be true.

But we all know this to not be true. And the reason many have concluded was their reason for this was due to fuel mileage. I don't remember what issue the valve reliefs caused, but it was enough for them to get rid of them.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Normally I would say to replace the timing belt tensioner pulley, the waterpump, and maybe the tensioner itself if you can easily push the plunger back in by hand. But in your case with only 25,000 miles I think you should be fine if all you do is replace the belt and maybe the waterpump because the seals will have had time to deteriorate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think I'm gonna get a Gates kit anyway...

On this how-to, it looks like there's no need to remove the crank pulley (repair guide says you have to).
Is it really doable with the pulley on? I guess it's easier to keep the engine from moving (and no special Chrysler tool is required) when replacing the belt that way, but i'd have to slide/bend the belt to make it fit...
No need to remove a sparkplug to find accurately the TDC?

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I've done a few timing belts on these cars and I'd personally would remove the crank pulley. You can see the crank timing mark easier and you will not damage the belt trying to push it past the outside diameter of the pulley. Removing the spark plugs makes life easier to get the timing marks lined up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
nice car you bought there, sadly this cars are very cheap in EU...for tax reasons...
I would advice you to change the timing kit, no matter what, maybe someone just kicked back the odometer to 25 k ... keep that in mind, a lot of idiots out there...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheap? Not in France... They are not subject to taxes yet. Only cars first registered un EU after 01.01.2004 are... And insurance is a real PITA!
I know where the car comes from so mileage should be a sure thing... She comes from Chrysler Italy, a collector from Monaco bought her there, then sold her to the stealership I bought her from, in Paris. Carpets are in great condition, seats don't look too much used, etc... So mileage is genuine, I guess ^^

Timing... Long story short, I gave up talking to the stealership, and did it myself a few months ago!

·
Registered
32 Posts
well, mine in romania values around 4000 euros in perfect shape but nobody buys it because of high taxes and inssurance, i have one for sale on Canadian plates, with about 2500 euro's I bought it from a guy who was desperate with 1500 euros...I saw in germany that one of these cars is around 2-3000 euro's in perfect shape...europeans do not value this cars...
Beautifull cars, it is true, but they are cheap, how much you paid for it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About 8000 euros, not including registration and insurance of course... With a 6 months warranty (already expired by now).
I also heard Estern Europe cars tend to have "worner" suspensions than Western Europe, due to bad roads... I drove through Europe from France to Ukraine once, and I would only complain about rough roads in Ukraine only! True, false? Who know...

·
Registered
32 Posts
wow, great, I must sell my car in France than...
this is good news, my fellow romanians, laugh at me and at my chrysler, here, only vw, mercedes and german cars are "good" others are not valuable, maybe because of the poor country...
Romanians are savages...verified once again!
about Ukraine - I am half ukrainian, and yes the roads in Ukraine are bad...very bad...cars here in Eastern Europe are badly maintained because of the lack of money, and someone here who buys a mercedes is not necesarily able to keep it runing and take care of it...gypsy mentality...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts