DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just picked up a 97 Chrysler Intrepid (Canadian spec) and the brakes are soft. Pads/discs are new but the brake fluid started leaking on the front passenger side after I drove it home for the first time today. Took it up the street to an indie shop and they tightened the brake lines at each wheel and checked for leaks there. They didn't quite fill up the fluid fully and the brakes were still hitting the floor before they'd stop. Interestingly the Brake Light was on when I looked at the car and during the drive home, and the parking brake didn't work. After topping up the fluid the brake light went out and the parking brake holds tight.

I didn't catch any leaks when I topped up and tested the brakes tonight, at least nothing on the floor of my garage. I'm going to try to bleed them tomorrow then check for any leaks around the master cylinder. There are some bushings that need to be replaced on the steering rack, and the fuel tank bracket is rusted, but the rest of the car's mechanical parts seem decent. There's a small exhaust leak somewhere, makes a rough noise. The mechanic said the muffler/exhaust tips are fine, but perhaps the catalytic converter is the issue, or the resonator. Couldn't see any holes when they had the car on the lift, but it sounds like it's closer to the header.

I'm looking to tackle as much as possible on this car, it's not perfect but it's a fun little project for me to work on. I've always wanted one of these, and I was so happy to find one. Sure there are much better examples out there, but this one's mine!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts