DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished off the air intake for the Intrepid, so that now it is the same as my 300M, located under the winshield cowl:
Here are all of the parts prior to "assembly" - all are stainless steel except the end piece with the hole for the intake pipe:

Here it is with the filter in place The piece above the filter is the water shield - stops water from coming into the filter housing. There is also a screen to stop leaves etc:

Here it is with the front cover in place:

Here is the cut-out so that the air comes in from the outside The tapered filter is not used, the newer one is 5" in diameter the full length, so is better:

So, now the battery is fully accessible, and the engine gets cooler intake air.
Looks good, with the polished stainless steel, and is easy to service the filter, just two screw to remove & the filter is removable.

I will do up a how-to with pix shortly, on both the air flter and the battery placement. :work:

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Ross, I would be willing to buy one of these from you....
That looks kick ass!!!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shadowvox6 said:
Ross, I would be willing to buy one of these from you....
That looks kick ass!!!
When I do the HOW-to, you can build one. It is quite easy.
I used stainless steel but if you used aluminium instead it would be quicker and easier to cut. Probably take about 2 hours.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ltrain01rt said:
What will he do next?!?!
Well, I am still using the stock front cover for the winter, so.......................

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the finished battery & air intakes, with the K&N PVC filter as well:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
Here's the finished battery & air intakes, with the K&N PVC filter as well:
I don't see any of this stuff in your pic?

Don't you mean PCV breather?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get used to it. :p I'm anal about spelling and grammar. lol

I'm kidding, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
r0meo021 said:
doesnt look like it would get as much air... Can you explain how it would? just curious.

Not sure what you mean - it gets air from outside, under the windshield. The opening is about 6" wide X 3" high which = 18 sq inches, VS the 3" round stock opening, which equals 9.42 Sq in., so in effect, has twice the intake area before the filter.

Of course it should have read "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" - I humbly apologize for the typo.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I asked that because it appears to be sealed from the front, compared to the other intake that is taking the air in from the front. I see what you mean about the sq in. I guess, think about it like this, if you remove half of your front windsheild and drive at 60mph and compare that to removing your entire rear windshield(note: all other windows are still up). Im not sayin you should try that..lol, but maybe you see more of where my question is coming from.

·
Registered
102 Posts
r0meo021 said:
I asked that because it appears to be sealed from the front, compared to the other intake that is taking the air in from the front. I see what you mean about the sq in. I guess, think about it like this, if you remove half of your front windsheild and drive at 60mph and compare that to removing your entire rear windshield(note: all other windows are still up). Im not sayin you should try that..lol, but maybe you see more of where my question is coming from.
Google "cowl induction", and that should give you a better idea... The air at the base of the windshield is at higher pressure than at the front bumper.
By pulling air from the cowl, he not only increases his airflow volume from roughly 7 sq inches to 18 sq inches with the new airbox, but if memory serves correctly, his pressures are roughly 50-60% higher. Mmmm, boost. lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
Not sure what you mean - it gets air from outside, under the windshield. The opening is about 6" wide X 3" high which = 18 sq inches, VS the 3" round stock opening, which equals 9.42 Sq in., so in effect, has twice the intake area before the filter.

Of course it should have read "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" - I humbly apologize for the typo.
I didn't mean to come across as an asshole with that, honest.

On a similar note, your math is wrong. 9.42 inches is the circumference of a 3" diameter hole, not the area. The area is ~3.14 x radius x radius. (3.14x1.5x1.5)

But, think of it this way. Your gains are even greater, now. lol

Looks nice, too.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
? dont most Cowl hoods NOT have the front of the Cowl sealed off? With his sealed from allowing air to FLOW, as compared to the front of a Cowl hood being open and allowing air to flow

·
Registered
102 Posts
r0meo021 said:
? dont most Cowl hoods NOT have the front of the Cowl sealed off? With his sealed from allowing air to FLOW, as compared to the front of a Cowl hood being open and allowing air to flow
You're thinking of a Ram-Air hood. A cowl hood is sloped from the stock-type leading edge, to usually 2-3" in the center at the rear of the hood. With the rear edge of the hood open like that, it allows the higher air pressures into the engine compartment.
It's not a new idea, I believe the Barracudas in the 70s did something very similar, with the shaker hoods.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts