DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only concern with them is if they will stand up to the heat of ah 55w and the 55/65w xenon bulbs if i were to mount them in my fogs and headlights.

Im also thinking about mounting them in my gauge cluster by removing four of the leds and wiring them to socket locations on the board.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ty,
I would suggest against mouting them in your bezel as they are circular. If you wanted to do that go with the side mounted SMD leds or even the led strips that are front firing. This has been a thought of mine since talking about the switching gauge color. That (the side mounted smd leds) is how I was gonna change the needle color. Just gotta wait till payday. Just my two cents tho. You have been into the cluster and know the inside as to where I do not.
-Smurf-

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being that the bulb locations in the cluster are really not where they should be as far as im concerned i really think by mounting the 80mm rings under the tack and speedo will put the light right where it needs to be the smaller 60mm will be over lapping each other for the temp and gas.

I think with the added lighting area this will give more than enough light to properly light the entire cluster.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wont be till next month maybe with the wife still looking for work and me being disabled and only getting ah check once ah month things happen slowly around here.

Bills Bills Bills they come first as much as i hate that concept lol.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Leds die when exposed to heat, even if they are not running. Keep that in mind when using them in your headlights.

I wouldnt put them in the headlight. They will burn out and look horrible a few weeks later.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Leds die when exposed to heat, even if they are not running. Keep that in mind when using them in your headlights.

I wouldnt put them in the headlight. They will burn out and look horrible a few weeks later.
I had leds mounted within 3" of the bulbs (100 Watt Xenon bulbs) and they worked perfectly for around 2 years..I just recently removed the headlights to do a headlight rebuild......granted they were the Street glow headlight leds...and not a SMD led..and they were mounted directly BELOW the bulb and not around the bulb. ..... But on the other hand..I had the street glow headlight leds in my fogs mounted directly above the bulb beside the fog light adjustment "bolt" to hide it.. they too worked fine (aside from the "transformer" going bad-which was mounted inside the bumper support)

I agree about not using SMD's(or SMT) around a heat source..mainly because of the way they are made but I dont have any personal experience with smd's and heat sources.... but In my experience normal leds do last pretty damn well.. I have yet to have one of my Ebay bought leds go out yet .... only ones that have went out are the ones that I paid $15 for 4 (Street glow led singles......insanely expensive=CRAP)

knowing you may have to replace a .25 cent or less led once in a while is the price you should be willing to pay for certain mods... It's a good idea to plan your modding so you can easily replace parts that can go bad.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I suggest putting a layer of 1/16"-1/8" plexi (frosted-sanded) over the leds if you plan on using them in a cluster to diffuse the light .......... Hot spots are not good

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I had leds mounted within 3" of the bulbs (100 Watt Xenon bulbs) and they worked perfectly for around 2 years..I just recently removed the headlights to do a headlight rebuild......granted they were the Street glow headlight leds...and not a SMD led..and they were mounted directly BELOW the bulb and not around the bulb. ..... But on the other hand..I had the street glow headlight leds in my fogs mounted directly above the bulb beside the fog light adjustment "bolt" to hide it.. they too worked fine (aside from the "transformer" going bad-which was mounted inside the bumper support)

I agree about not using SMD's(or SMT) around a heat source..mainly because of the way they are made but I dont have any personal experience with smd's and heat sources.... but In my experience normal leds do last pretty damn well.. I have yet to have one of my Ebay bought leds go out yet .... only ones that have went out are the ones that I paid $15 for 4 (Street glow led singles......insanely expensive=CRAP)

knowing you may have to replace a .25 cent or less led once in a while is the price you should be willing to pay for certain mods... It's a good idea to plan your modding so you can easily replace parts that can go bad.
Maybe you had better luck that i have in the past. I generally avoid all ebay premade leds SMD or any kind. Strips are horrible too.

If the led is placed far enough from the projectors, like not on the unit, then it should be fine.

Side note, why are you guys adding halos to a non-BMW?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Where in the rules of modding does it say it has to be ah BMW?
Im pretty sure ricers would agree with you on that statement, every car could use some halos. You really dont think its silly to add halos to a non-BMW? or were you being sarcastic

About the Mercedes comment, if anything the Charger/300C is more of a Mercedes than anything. The intrepid and 300m were designed and debuted way before Mercedes had anything to do with Chrysler.

BTW SCARCE911, i just visited your cardomain page and HOLLYYY you put a lot of work into your intrepid. How did you find so much time to redo basically the whole interior ?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you look around you will see that halos are offered by many different manufactures for many different models including the Intrepids

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
If you look around you will see that halos are offered by many different manufactures including the Intrepids
i think you are missing the point.

This car is also driven in some countries, but do you see it on the road ? (PS it catches fire too, BONUS)

It doesnt mean that if something exists you should go out and buy it for your car.

Ive always hated those Chinese halo lights for the intrepid, eagle eye or whoever took it on just rices out everything to appeal to young kids. You may know i deal with custom headlights as a hobby and i have customers that specifically have asked me to remove the halos from their aftermarket lights and just paint them black. You guys found out the issues with those lights way after i warned everyone NOT to buy them. Im not going to argue with you about this because there is no point, you are truly set on them so to each his own.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I personally don't care if you like them or not allot of us do so drop it.
you turned one question i asked into all of this ? I also didnt know "allot" could be used in that context :) How are you a moderator here?

I like the color black... let the arguments begin. Geez i guess we all have to obey what the main herd agrees with.

Relax ppl.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Maybe you had better luck that i have in the past. I generally avoid all ebay premade leds SMD or any kind. Strips are horrible too.

If the led is placed far enough from the projectors, like not on the unit, then it should be fine.

Side note, why are you guys adding halos to a non-BMW?
I've actually had terrific luck with leds I got from ebay... but 95% of them have been led singles, and I do the solder/layout work myself.. pre made strips are an easy short cut for people who cant/dont want to mess with putting together their own led arrays.
BTW SCARCE911, i just visited your cardomain page and HOLLYYY you put a lot of work into your intrepid. How did you find so much time to redo basically the whole interior ?
It looks like more work than is actually done..I de-mod/re-mod a lot.. how did I find the time? lol..It's been an ongoing procrastination for the past few years..You should see how many unfinished projects I have laying around...It's a shame..but its a fun hobby!!

About the halo's ......I think the phrase "To each his own" sums it up pretty well..Personally I wouldn't consider it a rice option but that's my opinion.. I've never seen a halo and thought about Chinese take-out .... But I am very partial to lighting so any change from stock would be considered an improvement..when done tastefully

1 - 20 of 27 Posts