DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thomas Knight has developed a belt-driven turbo setup that can be mounted from the altenator. They have fitted a 2.7 and will be looking into our 3.5 cars to see if there is an easy way. These are not cheap ebay turbos they are real and cost over 1000 bucks. They currently have an electric version using the same turbo.
I have an email with some installations. It really looks sweet!

Unfortunetly my engine has finally developed a serious problem. I will not invest anymore money in this car so I have starting looking for another and my choice at this point is a 1999 Concorde LXi (3.2) because I simply love these Chrysler cars.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Starnerf said:
Isn't a belt-drive turbo just a supercharger? First or second gen 3.5?
Correct. A supercharger is belt driven. A turbo is driven by the flow of exhaust. As its name implies, a "turbo" has turbine blades. On one end of the shaft, the turbine is spun by exhaust flow. the other end of the shaft has a set of turbine blades that draws in and compresses intake air. Typically, turbos have a lag time, it takes a moment for a turbo to create boost because its driven by the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My guess its like a paxton (sp?) blower design which if I recall, is kinda like a turbo retrofitted to be belt driven. Advantage is its a fairly tiny unit, unlike a Roots style which is fairly large.

Personally I think it would be more efficent to belt drive something like this than have one electric motor driven (which you could do... if you had a powerful and fast enough motor...).

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
shelbydodgeimp said:
Personally I think it would be more efficent to belt drive something like this than have one electric motor driven (which you could do... if you had a powerful and fast enough motor...).
Keep in mind, belt driven accessories create more load on an engine. Its called parasitic loss. This fact is the basis for underdrive pulleys and A/C eliminator brackets/pulleys. I've seen some go as far as eliminating power steering and using electric motor belt driven water pumps to eliminate this loss. I imagine something like a belt driven supercharger puts on a pretty good amount of load, as does an A/C compressor.

No matter what, every type has its +'s and -'s. An electric supercharger would probably require a good deal of amps in order to provide any useful boost. And where are you going to get amps from? An alternator, which is belt driven, and still adds a load onto the engine. I'm not too familiar on electric driven superchargers as far as whether they are any good or not compared to turbo's or belt driven superchargers. I think its an interesting concept IF it really works.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Check out this guys website here

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Well, the auto industry **is** moving to electrically run accessories and away from belt driven pumps, etc, etc. Part of the move is to standardize on 24 volt electrics in the whole car.

Expect a/c pumps, PS, water, etc, etc to be electric in 5-7 years at the most. Just like vacuum driven accys gave way in the 70s, belt driven will give way to electric too.

The SAE and IEEE/Auto newsletters have loads of info on the subject.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
This type of setup isn't new either. There is a guy Dick Datson i beleive who has been doing these for years. Goes through the whole process of how to take a turbo and make it belt driven etc, realyl good guy knows his stuff. And you cna make lots of boost, all depends on what ya want. Its a kewl idea sure but who knows

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
froggy81500 said:
Correct. A supercharger is belt driven. A turbo is driven by the flow of exhaust. As its name implies, a "turbo" has turbine blades. On one end of the shaft, the turbine is spun by exhaust flow. the other end of the shaft has a set of turbine blades that draws in and compresses intake air. Typically, turbos have a lag time, it takes a moment for a turbo to create boost because its driven by the exhaust flow.

Well you are correct (I have owned 3 turbo charged cars) but these guys are calling it an electric turbo or belt-driven turbo. It looks like a T1 or similiar minus the exhaust. It works like a supercharger though. I would certainly like to try one out!
By the way guys, my Trep is done. The mechanic has started to pull the engine apart and it looks like it is deep...main bearing or cam bearings. I will most likely be writing it off and giving it (minus a few parts) to my mechanic. The body is in excellent condition for a 93 and everything worked - pwr windows, locks, AC etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
this sounds really intresting....the picture of that turbos exit looks small....would it really work on an intrepid...? if they make em for 3.5's let me know ill most likely buy one

·
Registered
301 Posts
It would be like fabricating a turbo or blower setup on an intrepid, aka mostly your own work if I were to guess.

I highly doubt someone would do a kit, if you are lucky you could find someone to already design & make the mounting brackets, but personally, if it were me, I would be affraid of someone buying it, not doing any fuel mods, killing their engine then wanting me to do something abt their f_ckup.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Personally if I used a belt driven turbo I'd just take off my AC compressor, since the goddamn thing doesnt work anyway and wont ever get replaced (im not getting another one to have it die in a year like the other 4 have) that way it wouldnt be that big of a load :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts