DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change pads and rotors on the wife's 1996 3.3L Intrepid. Broke one of the caliper pistons while compressing, so replaced the right caliper. Got everything else together fine, and bled the system. Pedal was soft, went to the floor. Bled again. Still soft. Bled a third time. Better, but still soft. My apartment manager is mad at me now for all the spilled brake fluid.

Should I bleed again, or is something else possibly to blame? Car stopped great before, though grinding hard on the right front. I see no leaks anywhere on the lines, wheel cylinders out back are both new and dry, and car stops fine on gentle stops with good pedal, but on harder stops pedal goes way too low and feels too soft.

J

·
0 Posts
Trapped air in the system?
Bleed it again?

Or master cylinder leaky, not enough pressure/vacuum.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
pump the brakes several times to seat the pads. If that doesn't help then probably air in the line. I'd say probably just need to seat the new pads against the rotors.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Do a complete system bleed starting with the RR. Then do the LR, then the RF and finish with the LF. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you have ABS, the system needs to be bled by a mechanic with a scan tool, unless you know how to use one and have access to one.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
If you have ABS, the system needs to be bled by a mechanic with a scan tool, unless you know how to use one and have access to one.

it dosen't matter, well on some ABS ssytems as in newer etc you have to, but atleast on ours you don't need anyting special to do a bleed. Pres brake, open valve, fluid out, cose valve repeat a few tiems till fluid coems out steady then your done

·
Dain bramaged
7,208 Posts
Warlord187 said:
One thing to also note, some brake pads just have a soft feel to them.

Also, have you ever changed out the brake fluid? If not, than it is long over due.
does black fluid mean its due?

:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
jakeoooooo said:
By changing a caliper, he would not get air into the ABS unit. Unless the ABS is activated with the air above the system(master) then the air will not get trapped in the ABS. A normal bleed will take care of it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
According to the factory manual proper bleeding needs a scan tool, and it's indicated when the system is open, like doing a caliper. I'm just relaying what it says, so you can use that info or not as you choose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car does not have ABS. Only options from factory are polycast rims and candy apple red paint (which is more like candy apple cracked corn paint with chimney soot residue).

I have been driving it anyway, and the brakes are better. I bled it proper, RR, LR, RF, LF, three times, topping off in between each wheel's bleed. The fluid coming out was very light amber to clear. My theory is I spilled too much brake fluid on the rotors and pads during bleeding, and it took a hundred miles to burn off. Smelled burnt brakes twice yesterday, not once today.

Cheapo AutoZone ($10.99) pads put out lots of brake dust. Doesn't matter. Wife never washes her car anyway. Probably why the paint looks like it was sitting too close to a fire.

Reactions: Astrogiblet

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a 1980 Caprice when I lived in Laramie. The light blue paint cracked exactly the same way. It looks like suede from a distance, but the paint is just cracked and peeling but has not lifted off the car because THERE IS TOO MUCH DIRT holding it together, LOL!!! I powerwashed a section of the roof, got some of the soot, off, and now it's starting to lift. So I oiled it down and rinsed it and it's holding for now. The hood is chalky white, though. So I've got a red Intrepid with a chalky reddish-white hood and sooty reddish-black roof and trunk lid.

Remind me, next time, to buy a can of brake parts cleaner, and spray the rotors clean before I put it all together. Next time, I'm going to go ahead and change the left caliper since they're what, $16 at AutoZone? $30 core? Not bad. I've only changed a caliper once before, and it cost me nearly $300 since I had Midas do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts