DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im in the market for a new car...looking at a newer trep either a 3.2 or a 3.5....what are the pros and cons of these cars in general / pros and cons of each engine

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
Only difference is cylinder bore size, so choose between mileage and power. There may be differences in options like PCM program and mainifold/runner tuning valves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I was searching I looked at it this way.....

The 93-97 intrepids had the 3.5, proved too be reliable. Then the 98-02 treps had the 3.2, and while I have not heard bad things about the 3.2, there must be more of a reason why the 3.5 replaced it. If people wanna argue the higher HP ratings due too the smallish wars going on in the family sedan market, sure why not......but why not just offer it as an option instead of trashing the 3.2 and bring back the 3.5.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The two engines (3.2 and 3.5 post 98) are identical for all intents and purposes... except for the displacement...

IMHO, 3.2 is better. Because it is a high output setup (same as 3.5 HO) with plenty of HP but is better on fuel.

They don't offer the 3.2 anymore because they want to cost cut. It's expensive to have production line accomdating two different engines. Had they seen the gas price coming, they probably would've ditched the 3.5 and kept the 3.2.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
What they should have done is add advance technology such as variable valve timing to the 3.x engines back in the 2000's to make them truely premium engines. That would've been better than keeping the same engine for basically 6 years...

actually they have the same engine still...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,448 Posts
The 3.2 was replaced by the 3.5 Magnum in 2002 -- which was a slightly tuned down 3.5HO. It has no mtv/srv valves on the plenum. So 98-01 you had the choice of the 2.7 or 3.2 and 2000 ish the 3.5HO in the R/t. 02-04 you had the choice of the 2.7 or 3.5 Magnum, or the HO in R/t model Intrepids.

As mentioned the 3.2 is identical to the 3.5HO, except for the cylinder bore, and has the HO plenum and everything.

Reliability wise, they are very reliable engines, if taken care of. They have few known common problems.

·
Premium Member
18,270 Posts
When I was searching I looked at it this way.....

The 93-97 intrepids had the 3.5, proved too be reliable. Then the 98-02 treps had the 3.2, and while I have not heard bad things about the 3.2, there must be more of a reason why the 3.5 replaced it...
FWIW, I don't believe the 1st gen and 2nd gen 3.5L's are the same engine.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
honestly I never drove an Intrepid with a 3.5HO, but rode in one with it, but have driven my sisters intrepid (SE with a 3.2??? don't ask, thats how it came from the factory) and I loved how it drove. I currently have a 3.5HO thats gonna be replacing the 2.7 in my intrepid but mileage wise I hear the 3.2 is a better engine and considering gas prices, that might be your best bet... unless you don't care bout gas then get one with a 3.5HO!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.