DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired '96 dodge intrepid 3.3l ((w/4wheel ABS(that doesn't work). 1 elderly owner, 130k. Pretty much everything else works blah blah blah... I'm not familiar with these transmissions, does this car has a serviceable differential? If so, wheres the check plug? There's like none of these left in Chicago so I really don't work on them ever.. Also, a general question, how shitty is the egr and evap systems on a scale of 1-5. 5=shittier than I think. 1=my car just needs money thrown at it. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not really having any major issues mechanically. Leaks here n there n over there too. I just wanna get this drivetrain somewhat sound because I'm not buying another car anytime soon. How does my cruise control engage and work without a relay plugged in? What size rim is the original spare? I have a 15" and a 16" with same bolt pattern. 5x4.5

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Differential check plug is on the right side next to the CV axle. There is a small drain plug directly on the bottom of the differential cover; takes a 1/4 wrench.

No major issues with EGR on these cars; its rare to have problems.

Cruise is vacuum powered by a servo connected to the engine vacuum and ECM.

Original spare is usually a donut; depends on the size tires the car came with and wheel options available at the time really.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,635 Posts
YoYo!

And Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks a lot. I'm gonna have to get under there. This hotter weather isn't agreeing with car. Also, regarding cruise, I noticed the servo and vacuum lines(pshh pow mind blown wtf dodge) how do I get the slack out of the cruise cable going to the tb?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It dies out when stopped in most gears with the hotter weather, usually I have to gas it if I start it when it's already hot, seafoam helped a lil bit with that (brake booster spray bottle). But I really don't wanna tear this intake off to start messing with the injectors. Anybody experience this? At first, I thought maybe alternator.

·
Banned
42 Posts
yea an injector cleaning might help i think any firestone can do it right - it takes a short while (couple of days) to re-learn
and the fuel trim might be quite dirty after as well

the transmission is of course serviceable in the car - the first pack of clutches anyway
I'd have to take off the fender to do it but
sunnoco has service stations that can do that in a day from underneath

That trans is a rock crusher by today's standards - low, power(2) and normal
am I right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts