DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MU Alum in da House
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the dumb Tracfone. Well, not dumb, I guess. Just the phones suck and the one good phone they have, the features are locked and you really cant use it.
I can't get service with anyone because of my credit so I was considering another prepaid plan which I really don't care because I don't use it that much any way.
What I was thinking was getting an unlocked phone off eBay or something like that and using that with a prepaid plan. Seems to me that they run a little less then the retail version and I know AT&T will let me, not sure about anyone else though. Is there a trade-off for being able to use an unlocked phone on any network that it is compatible with? What I mean is, is there certain features that I wouldn't be able to use like text and IM? Could someone give me some help with this?
I really like the new Samsung Blackjack and I think that is the one I will get if I can.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A couple of things you are going to have to check.

1)Will they let you bring a phone on their network that you have not bought from an authorized dealer.
2)Does the prepaid plan support text messaging IM internet. Some do, some don't and some just advise against it because you will chew through money.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The unlock phone only works if you flash the phone to use the correct software that the carrier uses. So the chances of using say the BlackJack on Tracphone wouldn't work since they don;t have Blackjack support unless you can find a hacked firmware for the phone.

I don't see how credit can be a issue for a cell. When I got my cell they didn't do a credit check. Try out VirginMobile or Verizon wireless's prepaid.

·
MU Alum in da House
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I will probably do is buy the phone and then put it on a prepaid plan from AT&T.
Also, yea these companies think that just because I was a kid and didn't pay my bill that I will do it again so they want between $500-750 to get a cell phone because that is what is showing on my credit report.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts