DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be thinking about anything other than Dell?

I'm not going to use it for gaming. I'd be doing some database/.net development so I need a good, but not blazingly fast computer.

My wife's sister works for HP so I looked on their website, but it looks to me like the cost is hundreds higher than Dell for equivalent computing power.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
one other option is to build one, you can skip a lot of the overhead and middle men charges

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
As Tom said, you can just build one if you are up to it. I build my own but, when I do buy laptops I only buy Dell.

Dave :evilking:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'm partial to HP, and would never buy a Dell. I've seen too many issues with Dell laptops (a LOT less than Toshiba, but still a significant number).......but maybe that's just me?

·
Registered
550 Posts
From what I have seen Dell's seem to go downhill fast. My parents computer and my girlfriends are both really slow after a while. My parents did have an HP before that and it seemed to keep it's performance better over time but that was a while ago. I built my own and I am much happier with it.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Built two computers, may build another and sell it. Laptop is a Gateway and I love it.

My first computer was a Dull computer. It's pretty good bang for the buck and runs really well. Rebuilt and given to old friends as a gift.

Had an HP, for a short time.

I agree with Tom, building a computer is simple, and you know what's in your computer as well.

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Built a couple of mine off craigslist and b/s/t on the computer forums. Don't think I've done too bad for nearly being blind and having fat fingers-worst part was hooking up case wiring to m/b. Biggest thing is to make sure what you get is compatible.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I build computers all the time. I do computer work on the side for extra cash. Before I started working at Tom & Betty's I built them a new P.O.S (Point of Sale) Server just under 300 bucks. Kinda funny too in a way. They just bought a new desktop for finances and stuff but the P.O.S Server is still faster hardware wise.

Have you thought of a Apple? You don't have to run OS X on the mac. Seems more practical for one since you're looking at more of a workstation system then a gaming system.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I build computers all the time. I do computer work on the side for extra cash. Before I started working at Tom & Betty's I built them a new P.O.S (Point of Sale) Server just under 300 bucks. Kinda funny too in a way. They just bought a new desktop for finances and stuff but the P.O.S Server is still faster hardware wise.

Have you thought of a Apple? You don't have to run OS X on the mac. Seems more practical for one since you're looking at more of a workstation system then a gaming system.
First off, I love your Point Of Sale acronym, I used to refurbish P.O.S.'s last summer :)

Apple? Is it really worth 50% more money to send him to Apple?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
From what I have seen Dell's seem to go downhill fast. My parents computer and my girlfriends are both really slow after a while. My parents did have an HP before that and it seemed to keep it's performance better over time but that was a while ago. I built my own and I am much happier with it.
computer hardware doesn't "run slower" over time - this isn't a car

the likely problem is that your parents and your girlfriend gunked the shiz out of their machines with their -insert spam heavy website- or downloading too much crap from -insert downloader- and they need a reimage.

reimage their pcs and the performance will come back for a little while till they... see above.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Speaking of Apple....OS X Leopard is blazing sweet. I have a Macbook that I use for a side business of video editing and such and it's amazing.

Seriously if you want a solid computer a mac is the way to go. But, I still use windows cause I am so familiar with it.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I would stay away from dell laptops because I have had nothing but problems with the laptops from dell. Power supplies keep burning out, motherboard and LCD kept going out. I would recommend toshiba laptop is a way to go because I have one that is over 12 years old and is still running today.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Speaking of Apple....OS X Leopard is blazing sweet. I have a Macbook that I use for a side business of video editing and such and it's amazing.

Seriously if you want a solid computer a mac is the way to go. But, I still use windows cause I am so familiar with it.

I troubleshoot macs and pcs here at work, and just upgraded to leopard, and it is fast, but not any faster than tiger was for me, and I'm having issues getting the brand new imac to bind to active directory and get it attached to the LDAP servers, starting to become a right pain in the butt.

-Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've worked for a school district for over 4 years now. All we buy are Dells. Sure you're gonna have problems with some, especially when people like buying a 400 computer. We do all of our repair work though, no talking to support. If you go Dell, buy a business class machine. You'll spend a little more, but you'll have a nicer machine. We have over 1000 Dells in the district and most of our problems are software instead of hardware. Also, the days of building a machine cheaper than you can buy one are over. Sure, if you want to pick your parts, then build it yourself. If you just need a new computer and don't care what's in it, buy a Dell.

·
MU Alum in da House
284 Posts
I've worked for a school district for over 4 years now. All we buy are Dells. Sure you're gonna have problems with some, especially when people like buying a 400 computer. We do all of our repair work though, no talking to support. If you go Dell, buy a business class machine. You'll spend a little more, but you'll have a nicer machine. We have over 1000 Dells in the district and most of our problems are software instead of hardware. Also, the days of building a machine cheaper than you can buy one are over. Sure, if you want to pick your parts, then build it yourself. If you just need a new computer and don't care what's in it, buy a Dell.
I say you are right. Marshall U has a contract with Dell and upgrades pretty much every semester. They are the Business Dells but are blazing fast and reliable. There are about 2000 or so on campus and only a handful of systems that need service.

If you DIY, right now Tiger Direct has a dual core bare bones for $400 after rebate.SLI Mobo, dual core Intel 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, dual 7300 GT SLI 512 MB video, 200 GB HDD, case, and PSU.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right a Mac will be wicked useful for database and .Net development. Unless you're suggesting I buy a Mac and then put Windows on it. I hope not because that would be pretty dumb.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up buying a Dell last night. Don't know if this will be readable but

Item Number Quantity Item Description

223-2222 1 Inspiron 530,Intel Core2 Duo processor E6550 (2.33GHz 1333FSB) w/Dual Core Technology and 4MB cache

311-7751 1 3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

310-8025 1 Dell USB Keyboard

310-7966 1 Dell Optical USB Mouse

320-5615 1 Video ready option w/o monitor

320-5747 1 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT- DDR3

341-4811 1 500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM)

341-5008 1 No Floppy Drive Requested

420-6547 1 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Edition English

420-6436 1 Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp

420-6995 1 DELL SUPPORT 3.4,DIM/INSP

420-5769 1 Internet Search and Portal

420-5924 1 Icon Consolidation Application

463-2282 1 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access

313-5582 1 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup

420-7244 1 Dell Support Center 1.0

310-1966 1 Mouse included with Keyboard purchase

430-0412 1 Integrated NIC card

313-4593 1 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

420-7468 1 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP

313-5270 1 16X DVD+/-RW Drive

420-6464 1 Roxio Creator Basic

313-2758 1 Integrated Audio

313-2198 1 No Speaker Requested

412-0940 1 Security 30-day trial

412-0934 1 Earthlink

412-0933 1 AOL for Broadband

412-0912 1 MS WORKS 8.5

950-3337 1 1 Year Limited Warranty

987-3137 1 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year

982-4310 1 Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year

987-6238 1 No Warranty, Year 2 and 3

960-3249 1 Banctec Service Agreement

983-3680 1 Warranty Support,Initial Year

466-7687 1 Thank you for choosing Dell

464-9572 1 No Preinstalled Software

310-8626 1 You have chosen a Windows Vista Premium System

420-7091 1 DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS

420-7092 1 DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS 1YR-FREE

987-4817 1 Insp Datasafe 3GB,1YR(Incl in price),DHS

988-0099 1 To activate your online backupaccount, go to Start, Programs, DataSafe Online

Dell Members: Save $450 off this select Inspiron Desktop System! - $450.00

Get a $200 Gift Card on system purchases $1499+ (cards to arrive in 6-8 weeks) - $0.00

Product Subtotal: $1,001.27
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Tax: $50.07
Product Total: $1,051.34

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess the first thing I should do is wipe it out and reinstall Windows to get rid of all that crap software.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
the likely problem is that your parents and your girlfriend gunked the shiz out of their machines with their -insert spam heavy website- or downloading too much crap from -insert downloader- and they need a reimage.
Exactly. My old Dell Dimension 4400 (2Ghz P4, 768Mb RAM, purchased in March '02) will run circles around my parents' HP (AMD Athlon XP 3Ghz, I believe, 1Gb RAM). It has since day one. Why? Because I keep my Dell clutter free, while theirs has all kinds of **** on it that slows down the performance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts