DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to replace my current dell laptop, so after messing around with the dell website i ordered a new dell 1521 laptop with vista home edition. I didn't get any antivirus with it b/c they wanted way more then i wanted to pay for it and also b/c my old laptop and my 8month old desktop antivirus is about to expire.... SO my question is which antivirus should i go with for my new laptop and desktop?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had Mcafee System suite on my toshiba I bought. It worked pretty well but the free subscription ran out and I had a copy of Nortons 360 to use.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 1521 with Vista Home Premium, loaded.. Webcam, Mcafee subscription, etc... Love it so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AVG and avast are both free antivirus programs that work great!! I and most of my family and friends use them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used AVG for a while and it worked great but then I got a copy of NOD32 and I like it a lot more it seems to be able to clean the viruses better rather than having to delete or quarantine them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ive lost a hard drive to a virus. i attend kent state university and everyone is required to use mcafee enterprise module version 8.5i and i have heard of no one getting any kind of virus. and if something does get into the system, it tells u the direct location, which is easily found through the address bar. get this vrus protection. ive set everyone up in my family with it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I ordered me one of the Vostro 1500s... Vista Home Basic... >_<. selected for them to install nothing extra, but i will be installing AVG Free Edition... Have it on the desktop with vista, and I actualy like it rather well.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm checking out the AVG free edition now on my old laptop and it seems to be pretty good.... But I'm still up in the air about which on to get!! My new laptop got delivered to the house on the 20th but i'm still out of town up in South Dakota and i'll be back to check it out on sunday afternoon.....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AVG Free works great, I use it along with the NOD32 and never had a problem.
i just installed AVG in my Dell 1150, my HP desktop. My new dell 1521 have PC-cillin for 30 days and i'll install AVG onto it after that. AVG has been running on my 1150 for about a week and i'v had no issues with it at all... For free you can't beat that!! Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since you're getting a new Dell you might want to check this out.

http://virus.org.ua/unix/keylog/klog.htm

This might have been posted in Whatever a year or so ago.

Good Luck with that

dominicfortune00
THanks for the post!!! Thats crazy!!! Now i wonder if it was just his laptop or is it on all laptops.... I know they now offer "LOjack" on all of the dell laptops maybe it has something to do with that!!! But either way def some good info!!! I hope mine don't have that, But I'm not to worried about it b/c i don't use the laptop for that much!!!!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Since you're getting a new Dell you might want to check this out.

http://virus.org.ua/unix/keylog/klog.htm

This might have been posted in Whatever a year or so ago.

Good Luck with that

dominicfortune00
No offense to whomever wrote that, or whomever believes this crap, but I've service hundreds of Dell laptops, and NONE of them have ever had such a device inside of them. On top of that, there are NO wires inside of any of their laptops that look anything like that.

The keyboards are all connected to the motherboard using ZIF connectors. There is no way you could even install such a device. If you look at the cable, what is pictured is a standard desktop keyboard cable, which by no means would ever fit inside the cramped quarters of a laptop. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's fake...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Now, they DO have a option in there bios for that identifier you know... But it doesn't deal with information you create, it helps track the laptop if it is ever stolen and used....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts