DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,697 Posts
Wonder if they will use the same base engine block, like with the 3.5 since the mid 90's. It would be neat to see an entirely new engine family.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Rumour has it, they are going to make a 4.0 V6, based off of the current 3.3/3.8 (circa 1990). The 3.3's/3.8's are indestructible. Pushrods for life!

·
Registered
512 Posts
its not a rumor...they are going to do it. the dodge nitro is going to have that very 4.0L...and its not the same one theyve used in the cherokee sports and wranglers for years...i think they actually discontinued that 4.0L after discontinuing the cherokee sport back in 01...so...its happening :). research it, and youll be very happy with the specs. i was when i read the article about the nitro. ill take a look see and try to find it.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,697 Posts
So is the new 4.0 for sure a pushrod engine? Or is it overhead cam?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
the 4.0 is based off the 3.5L... its got SOHC and only 255 [email protected] and 265 Lb Ft @4000 rpms. This engine is going into the pacifica, minivans, and the small SUV's. Im pretty sure that if Chrysler puts this engine in say the LX, they will do what they did for the LH and make a 4.0 HO and bump the HP and Tq to match or beat the competetors.

In this pic you can see the block and it looks just like the 3.5's block:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
LebanonsFinest said:
its not a rumor...they are going to do it. the dodge nitro is going to have that very 4.0L...and its not the same one theyve used in the cherokee sports and wranglers for years...i think they actually discontinued that 4.0L after discontinuing the cherokee sport back in 01...so...its happening :). research it, and youll be very happy with the specs. i was when i read the article about the nitro. ill take a look see and try to find it.
Well the 4.0 in the Jeeps was actually a straight 6 so it's not the same.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Hey, I like the oil filter placement, now if everyone else would just do the same!

·
Registered
195 Posts
an article i read at allpar.com said that the 4.0 uses the same block as the 3.5, and the only difference is the stroke of the crankshaft. this means that if they are really the same block, the 3.5 can be stroked to 4.0 with factory made parts! that would bump from 215 cid to 241 cid. that would be a pretty nice torque increase...
David

·
Registered
195 Posts
well after doing some more research i found that it will not be possible to swap a 4.0 crank and rods into the 3.5 block without major modification. the block castings are very similar, but the main bearings are different diameter, and the front end of it is different. DAMN!!
David

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the 4.0 bolt to our 42LE?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts