DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know, another exhaust thread...maybe this will be different.
In Ontario we have emissions testing, which, for some reason my 2003 ES failed last year, resulting in a 1 year temp pass so that I can get my $hit together to try again. Then to top it off I get the old codes 0420, 0430, so something needed to be done. So, we're going to put a high-flow cat in line and move the O2 sensors behind that, then run to a flowmaster single in and dual out...oh and pop a couple of chrome ovals on the end of that to make it all pretty.
So, before I dump 1400 bucks into my new exhaust, anyone got some advice or words of warning?!

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
wow 1400 for an exhuast? seems a bit too much.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Maybe he is replacing ALL the piping, and welding it all together... and charging $115 an hour..??

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Steep! Change out all your O2 Sensors with OEM, cat's with OEM and spark plugs with NGK's. That should make you past as long as you don't have holes in the exaust.

Meening of the codes he's got.

P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency

P0430 Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input... I'm in Etobicoke...I failed HC ppm and NOppm

The guy doing the work is reputable...and yes, it's stainless front to back and welded

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
My advice: don't pay $1400 for an exhaust system. SS is overkill in this case. Yes, it will last almost forever, but is it worth putting that kind of money into it when the car dies and you have no way to unload it? You're very unlikely to sell it off, and then to try to ship it is even worse. A good exhaust shop using quality steel tubing with minimal seams should result in an exhaust that will last well beyond the life of the car AND it will save you about $1000.
Take that money and put it into some more cool mods for the car. I have just over $200 into my exhaust system, fully welded, no leaks and no signs of rust.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
You can buy a complete system from the resonator back in SS from Trubendz for under $500, you could get someone to weld it up cheaper than what you were quoted

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I agree, SS is nice but A bit overkill for an intrepid. Now I can see maybe some stainless mufflers, but no need for stainless piping.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm still in debate about my exhaust, I have a Borla Spitfire to go on, but should I re-pipe my setup and get two hi flo cats and do it all at once??

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'm still in debate about my exhaust, I have a Borla Spitfire to go on, but should I re-pipe my setup and get two hi flo cats and do it all at once??
2 cats? Are you planning on replacing the factory cats that come down off the manifolds?
If so, then yes, repiping the whole thing at that time is pretty much be necessary. Just have the OEM muffler cut off and the Borla installed and see what you think. If it's not loud enough, you can always remove the resonator that's further forward. Unless you're planning on running a highly modded engine, replacing the cats and the entire exhaust is a little overkill.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
After FINALLY gettin my 'trp back on the road, I can hear minor little exhaust leaks under the body near the engine, so re-piping is gonna hafta happen now lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts