DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
pimped3point3 said:
What did you do, just stick a black light in there? You should do the blue LED mod. That would look alot better.
Man, I don't know Pimp. That looks pretty tough like that Felix!

It does look like you mounted a small black light in there somehow. I would like to see that in real time, for I don't think a photo would do the black light justice.

Do be sure that if that's a black light that it doesn't get too hot back there near those gauges. I know that regular incandescent black light bulbs get hotter than hell! Much hotter than a equivalent regular light bulb.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its actually a black light cold cathode, MUCH smaller and MUCH thinner ( so thin you could snap the tube in half with just a simple bend ) They are also brighter and cheaper than neon (depending on whom you buy them from )

I'm not into blue, its not really my color, green I think looks much nicer. You do need to see it in action Snorton, I was just testing places to put it and my dad came out and said that it looks really cool where I had it. I'm still awating the acrylic tube to mount it to my lights then :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
i'm looking to do the blue gauge lights soon. I might need some help anyone around who i could ask questions? I haven't heard from Intrepidatious and i am unsure if he just uses the old sockets for the LEDs and just adds resistors or what. Any help is much much appreciated! thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Sorry I haven't gotten back...I usually read at work where it is sometimes hard to respond.

The way I did it (which all credit goes to Bart, who showed me how to do everything) was using the old plastic bulb sockets. Solder a 180 ohm reisitor to the power lead on the LED and then have the "leg" go down through the plastic bulb and bend it over (just like the bulb was...you'll see) Same with the negative leg. Mind you, this is pretty tough to do.

If you just want to do it the easy way (but more permanent)...you could solder the resisotr/LED combo straight to the circuit board. I had to do that on my HVAC, Headlight switch and OTIS controls.

I'll try and answer any questions....

·
Registered
112 Posts
well it's funny you talk about soldering because I am sitting in my Electrical Engineering Lab (entry level) and i'm learning the fine art of soldering today. so i suppose i know what's going now. hehe, as far as which bulbs to buy and resistors could you just make a little list for me so i don't forget anything??? i appreciate all your help i know some people are busier than me and don't have a chance to respond 15 times a day. so that is fine, whenever you have time it is much appreciated! :)

thanks again!

·
Registered
112 Posts
describe what exactly this thing is or gimme a link i might be interested for other parts of the car, i still am going to do the dash like Intrepidatious but these could come in handy

by the way intrepidatious you see my post above in response?

·
Registered
781 Posts
That looks really good man. Too bad we cant really see a good pic of it without seeing it in person. What did you exactly do to make it work. I love the green that we already have but that blue tint looks really cool.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just took the cathode tube, and stuck it in there for testing purposes. Once I get my new tube ( the one in the pictures snapped in half ) I'm going to mount it under the gauges. Be warned, if you attempt this, be VERY VERY careful with the tubes, they are VERY thin and snap with a very light bend of the tube.

It gives a really cool effect and I'm planning on hooking it up to my lights so whenever my lights are on the black light is on. I'll take better pictures once I get it completely installed, but as I said, you HAVE to see it on someones intrepid in person, the pictures don't to justice.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, from what I've read on them the average lifetime is 15000 hours, blinking them does NOT affect the lifespan of them either. Shouldn't be much of a problem to replace them, you wouldn't have to rewire anything just remove the tube from the transformer ( its a little plug in thing ) and switch the tube with a new one. Hope that helped any.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts