DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here. I bought my Intrepid for $500 recently replaced the timing chain, water pump, brakes, and anti-sway bars. Now I believe I have a blown head gasket or warped head idk if the past owner ever let the car over heat but I know there is definitely a internal coolant leak just have to find it.

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
49,520 Posts
What are the symptoms that make you think you have a blown head gasket?

What symptoms did the car exhibit when you bought it as a clunker?

Improper installation of new parts may make it seem like there's another issue.

How about a detailed description of what you experienced as far as issues and what you replaced and what you experienced along the repairs?

Otherwise you might as well keep throwing parts at it that you don't need!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huge white smoke from exhaust pipe, when I start the car with the radiator cap off all the coolant drains out, and my oil is milky. I removed the timing chain and water pump then replaced all timing components and the water pump and put it into the correct timing. The car started fine after but with giant clouds of white smoke. When I first bought the car it had absolutely no coolant in it and when I removed the valve cover there was milky oil everywhere. Oh also my radiator top hose would suck flat and return to normal after a while.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,520 Posts
Checked your radiator oil cooler lines?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,520 Posts
As in the lines that are inside the radiator! You can't see them.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,520 Posts
How about not pulling the old water pump gasket out of the block when replacing the water pump then?

It's all speculation until some tests are run. Like a Cooling system Pressure test, block test, etc.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,520 Posts
And he didn't answer my question about what was originally wrong with the car when he bought it. Did it run? Was it losing coolant then, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the old gasket and replaced it with the new one that came with the water pump. Sunday I'll run some test and give an update.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,520 Posts
Was it an actual failed head gasket? Looks like you had coolant in the #5 cylinder...back one on passenger side. #1 looks like it's slightly wet also. You'll need to get both heads to a machine shop to check for cracks and whether the decks are flat and need milling.

Doesn't appear to be a total disaster. What does the the top of that head look like? Sludged up? However that's dependent on what a machine shop says regarding the heads. You said you just did a new water pump and timing chain. So you'll be out a gasket set and whatever machine shop costs if the heads are salvageable. Bet you can buy used 2.7L heads cheap all day long anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The gasket failed between coolant lines and the combustion chamber head gaskets were replace. Only small clouds of white smoke as opposed to the gaint clouds. I haven't driven it after replacement. Is it possible that there's left over coolant somewhere in my exhaust?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts