DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure am glad I found this site! Looks like just what I need.
I have a '93 3.5 daily driver that runs REAL GOOD but I want a little more. I have installed the K&N air filter but that's it. Since this is my daily driver and I do have other "toys" that need serious attention, I'm looking for relatively simple mods that will give me more oomph and may even help gas mileage.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
-steve

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the problem with these cars is that there's not a lot of aftermarket parts for them. you could get a performance chip, but that's not really a good idea for a daily driver (in my opinion) plus it's expensive. you could replace the stock air intake accordian tubing with something smoother, a la BUSCHMAN and others. if you're looking for a little more adventure, you could play around with the exhaust. some people have straightpiped from the cats to the resonator, eliminating the large muffler. others have completely replaced cat back with either a Y pipe and two resonators, or a one in/two out muffler and then running tubes to the back.

a hot idea is ram air but nobody's found a real good way to do it yet.

glad you found the site, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sport & 99! What about some sort of baffle or obstruction in the intake I've heard folks suggest removing?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
there's a small plastic trumpet inside the accordian tubing near the rear of the engine. its main purpose is to reduce noise and, after having removed mine, i notice that's about all it does. it doesn't increase performance at all but if you're looking for cool sound it enhances the k&n filter and it sounds awesome if you give it a little stick. removing the cone is simple...

first, unclamp both ends of the hose and remove it from the bay. stand the tube on one end and compress it and the tube should slide out with minimal effort. some people have gotten it out by breaking it and then shaking the tube, however i don't think that's too good an idea because what if one piece of shrapnel gets stuck in there? guess what's next. exactly.

hope this helps, any questions and someone will gladly help (i assume).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive also heard about cutting out the bottom of the airbox for better airflow.

What I have done is take out the airbox, and accordian tube, and replaced with a cone filter, and 3" double layered aluminum piping.

I also changed out my suspension, and she rides and handles so nice now. Not too stiff, but not as soft as normal.

Future plans include exaust, mabey chip [however it is my daily driver, so im not sure] and better ignition and spark, but im gonna do my reserch on this b4 i make any decisions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks, Sport AND 97 (looks like we were posting at same time)! That sounds like what I've heard of.
If there's no performance gain, I'm not sure I'll bother. But, then again, the K&N did change the sound when I stand on it and I do like that, sooooooo maybe we'll santch that sucker out.

I remain open to any other suggestions.

-steve

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: 79lilred ]

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just wondering, but why is it bad to have a performance chip in when you use the car everyday? Burns up the engine?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i have heard that using a performance chip in a daily driver can cause the tranny to shift around looking for a gear with very little throttle input. for instance, if you were going up a hill and put a little pressure on you might soon find yourself in 2nd at 4500rpms and pulling hard. plus from what i understand you burn up more gas. i don't think it's necessarily BAD for the engine, i think that peoples' beef with it is that they don't want to be driving a race car on the streets every day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I removed the plastic trumpet inside the accordian tube. Can't really tell any diff in sound over what I already noticed when I switched to the K&N. Will have to see if there's any affect on mpg. -steve

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: 79lilred ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
don't get your hopes up for a mpg increase from the trumpet removal. that's actually a very well-designed part of the engine, it cuts down on noise drastically and has zero measurable/noticeable effects on performance.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
we tried it all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts