DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed new HIR Toshiba halogens today (low beam only). So far big disappointment. Barely brighter than stock bulbs and the bulbs really do not fit. After I ground the "ear" off I found the elbow does not allow for the bulb to seat all the way down. Not sure if I have a good moisture barrier with the "O" ring. Save your money...stick with PIAA's.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I find the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs to be faaaar superior to the Piaa Extreme Whites I used to have. After what.. 9 months of the pia's (at $130 a set!!!) the low beam on one side burnt out.

At closer to $40-50 a set for the silverstars, I've had them for something like just over 2 years now? They're still as bright and white as they used to be.. and I noticed with the Piaas.. the outer plastic coating on the bulbs drastically reduced it's effectiveness after only a few months as well, soon went back to the yellow factory halogen look after no time. I'm sure I got a nasty set, but Silverstars for this lad for now.. until my next car has HID stock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing the headlight lens tomorrow...that will be the true test. The HIR bulb is brighter, the new lens will give it the true test.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Which bulb did you get for low beam duty, the HIR1 or HIR2?
Both can be made to fit. After taking off the ear, I had to file part of the elbow just to make sure I could see light between the housing and bulb.

I have modified the 9005xs to fit in the low beam housing, and in a direct comparision, the HIR2 low beam puts out more light than the 9005xs.
So is there a wiring problem? or do the reflectors/lenses suck that much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts