DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought an 96 Intrepid ES w/ 91,500mi off my friend a couple of weeks ago. Timing belt went first day I had it, as my luck would have it. After my dad and mechanic looked around, I decided the car was in good enough shape to put a little money into to get it in top shape. I really like this car a lot and want to work some little bugs out. After reading through these forums, I'm pretty confident someone here can help me. The first thing I noticed is that the vacuum hose that comes off the PCV valve is melted. When I told the guy at Autozone I need a PCV valve and some vacuum hose, he told me the hose most likely melted because of hot oil getting inside. I also noticed that there is some oil inside the intake tubing. What could that suggest? I got the codes 12 and 32 from my check engine light... 12 says poor connection to battery of disconnection of negative battery cable within 50 starts. It's definitely not the latter, so what should I check to see where there is a bad connection? The 32 tells me there's an issue in the EGR valve... I'm thinking it's most likely the transducer... Where can I find a transducer for this car? I'm also pretty sure there's a transmission mount out... some sort of mount is out i know... but all i can say is that the engine moves forwards and backwards under throttle and there's a kick that can be felt in the interior when driving? What kind of damage can that cause? I really appreciate any help I can get... Thanks!

·
Registered
660 Posts
First, you will alway get a 12 and 55 when you do the codes that is normal so don't even worry about them. Kind of think of them as start and finish codes.
As far as EGR your choices are salvage yard or parts store should be able to find egr stuff either place.

At 100K some oil in the egr hose could be expected but it there was a lot may mean the engine has a lot of blow by or other issue. If you dad knows cars should be able to run a compression test etc. to see what you have as far as a good engine. The tube could just be original and is shot also. I replace mine on my 94 several years ago because it became gummy and soft from age.

·
Registered
4 Posts
intrepid

These intrepids are notorious for check engine light for not starting right.I'v gotten this code every couple weeks every since I've had mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts