DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

New issue with my Neon 2.0L 4-speed automatic

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  EagleScreen 
#1 ·
Hello, my 2002 Neon 2.0L automatic has a new issue, when I put the shifter in P or N, the engine accelerates itself up to 2,000 rpm (no action over accel pedal). At the instant I put shifter in D, it seems to go back to normality. The car apparently drives well. The car has 87,000 miles more or less.
Anyone know which is the origin of the problem?

#2 ·
idle air maybe starting to go bad and overshooting the extra needed to idle under load.
try a cleaning and see if it fixes itself.
try a battery disconnect for a bit too to reset anything.
guess i should ask too, does it atay at 2000 rpm or settle back down to idle.
and does it start up at 2000?
if so, it might be a vaccum leak.

#3 ·
Hello, i have found the problem, it is a cracked pcv valve tube hose, the hose which joins the tube from the pcv valve with the tube to the Throttle body. I have temporary replaced this tube with a transparent tube and everything came back to normality. As this tube is transparent, i can see how pcv valve exudes a few of some fluid to the Throttle body, is this normal? should i replace this pcv valve? what is this fluid?
Anyone know the part number o where to purchase this pcv valve tube?

#4 ·
You were seeing the rpm raise cause having a leak in pcv system was causing a vacuum leak. Glad you found your problem. PCV means positive crankcase ventilation, it is releasing gases back into the crankcase to get burned up and released to the exhaust and sent out the tailpipe basically. What color is the fluid you see? I assume its brown or black being motor oil, that means your rings are wearing out and the pcv system is sucking it up into the intake or throttle body. Is there any smoke out of your tailpipe? If not I wouldnt worry too much about it, it happens on high mileage engines.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.