DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And its pretty badass! This little thing only weights 2.2 pounds andhad 1gb of RAM, 120 GB memory, with 1.6GHZ processor for only 350 bucks at Waldo Martinez,Wally World, Wal Mart,Whatever you want to call it. Anyway I recommend this thing to anybody. It comes with Windows Xp,but Im pretty sure they come preloaded with linux in some places. its obviously not a powerhouse but its awesome for having around to browse the internet at a coffee shop (which is what im doing) or to type papers and things like that. Only downfall is it does not have a disc drive so you have to buy that separately and use the USB port (which it has 3 of them). Just excited and really happy with this thing so I wanted to share.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Its a notebook not a laptop. Personally I would take it back spend the extra 100 or so and get a laptop, You will be much more happier, go to a place that cares abour their sales like Best Buy. Walmart normally doesnt have anyone who knows anything it seems.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
And its pretty badass! This little thing only weights 2.2 pounds andhad 1gb of RAM, 120 GB memory, with 1.6GHZ processor for only 350 bucks at Waldo Martinez,Wally World, Wal Mart,Whatever you want to call it. Anyway I recommend this thing to anybody. It comes with Windows Xp,but Im pretty sure they come preloaded with linux in some places. its obviously not a powerhouse but its awesome for having around to browse the internet at a coffee shop (which is what im doing) or to type papers and things like that. Only downfall is it does not have a disc drive so you have to buy that separately and use the USB port (which it has 3 of them). Just excited and really happy with this thing so I wanted to share.
no offense but, you just got the notebook and are still experiencing the high of getting a new computer. In all reality acer notebooks are worthless pieces of junk. Once you spend a few weeks with it you will realize that they have a slow response time and are perfect bricks. I got an acer which seems to be the same specs you have, the thing was that it could not accomplish the simplest of tasks in a timely manner so I was forced to put it up on ebay two weeks later. I suggest taking it right back to the store and paying a little extra for a dell or compaq/hp. Even a toshiba would work better than an acer. Although you need to watch out with some models of Toshiba which have inadequate screen protection. Trust me, I upgrade my desktop and latptop frequently and have used almost every brand except macs.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Yeah like I said I'm a Dell fan. They got good customer service IMO.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I could of spent some more and got a laptop, but I already have one. The point of buying this notebook (Im corrected, I mustve missed the difference somewhere along the line) is that it only weighs 2.2 pounds. Being a university student who has to walk a mile to school carrying his backpack this is a huge factor. My fifteen inch laptop (or notebook, if somebody can explain the difference that woulod be great) serves well but it weighs like 6 pounds and add that to a bag fulla books and you have an equation for some shitty back problems. I wouldve went with a dell mini or an asus, or even the lenovo ideapad 10 inch but they are far more expensive and mostly come with ssd's that max out at 32 gb.Though some to have run of the mill hard drives. I have always been happy with my big Acer and Ive had it a little over a year now. And no Acer is not my favorite brand, I actually would have preffered an Asus or a Dell but as mentioned they are more pricey and only come with little ssd's. And if I was going to get another laptop I would go for an Alienware, which is really a Dell but they look cooler and have higher max specs. But yeah I have yet to see anything wrong with Acers, they seem like pretty solid, affordable computers.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Found on the internet.

What's The Difference Between Laptop and Notebook Computers?

Most people use the terms notebook and laptop computer interchangably. Once it's not sitting on top of your desk every portable computer instantly becomes a notebook or laptop regardless of its configuration or individual specification. There are, however, some very big differences between notebook and laptop computers and it's important that you're aware of these differences during the buying process.
This article is being written on a laptop computer as a matter of coincidence but let's get to the meat of the article and explain the basic differences that you need to be aware of.

Let's look at the notebook computer first.
The Notebook Computer
A standard notebook has the following features:
1. Ultralight. Less weight is better.
2. 4 - 5 hour battery life.
3. No internal floppy drive.
4. Minimal graphics subsystem.
5. No internal DVD or CD system.
6. 12" - 14" TFT screen.
7. Low profile (thin).
8. Integrated modem and network connection.
9. Smallest possible keyboard that retains functionality.
10. Low power consumption Celeron/Centrino or Sempron style processor.

In essence a notebook computer is designed to provide mobile computing that won't break your back yet still offer all the power the mobile users requires for work and some leisure pursuits. This portability normally comes at a price. The level of minituarization involved comes at a cost and high end notebooks can prove to be quite expensive.

The Laptop Computer
Now for the laptop computer. Again look at the name. A laptop is designed to sit on your lap and you can therefore expect it to be quite large and loaded down with features and power. The
The standard laptop computer would have some ,if not all, of the following features:
1. 14" - 17" (widescreen) TFT screen.
2. Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon graphics subsystem.
3. Internal DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drive
4. Large full featured keyboard.
5. 3 hour+ battery life.
6. Upgradeable.
7. Integrated modem, network, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities.
8. High quality integrate audio and speaker system.
9. Low power consumption, high performance Intel Centrino style processor.
From reading the above information you'll see that the notebook is the exact opposite of the laptop. Notebooks offer reasonable power and extreme portability. Laptops are designed to be capable of replacing an entire desktop PC if necessary whilst still offering desktop performance in a mobile platform. Hopefully this article has helped clear up the differences between both classes of portable computers. As time and technology moves on the line between laptop and notebook will continue to blur but for right now it's still clearly defined and driven by the demands of the portable computer market.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
It's a NETBOOK, not a "NOTEBOOK".........someone get it right! It's a very good value as well IMO. I've considered getting one as a substitute for my 14" laptop. When I just want something I can surf the web and write reports on without having to lug around my 14", it'd be perfect.

Actually, I'm still waiting for my Asus EEE PC 7" Netbook from Royal Bank.........I get it for free for opening an account there. I better get it soon, closing the account at the end of December :)

I REALLY like the Acer Aspire One's though. Wish the bank was giving those away for free instead!

........for those of you who like Sony laptops, I've heard from the supposed 'experts' at Best Buy that they have the lowest quality, and highest rate of return of ANY laptop brand (even beating out Toshiba). Acer laptops are better, probably not by much though. I think the Aspire One is probably better quality than the bare bones Acer laptops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts