DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of **** are they pulling now. This is a crazy law. people gonna get a lot of tickets in the winter time. Laws are starting to suck. I guess we dont have freedom in america. We are gonna be government owned someday. I dont know about everyone here but its been talked alot on here about idling your car in winter for 1 or 2 min but if i have to shovel my ass out of snow that is 2 or more and my car is burried in the white **** u know the car idles longer to clear off windows and doors and warm up engine so the car can crawl to work in the morning. They should unpass this law. anyway just writing to give the nyers a heads up on this stupid law.

·
Registered
753 Posts
it is an effort to cut greenhouse emmissions and lower the consumption of fosil fuels.

It is claimed that all you need to warm your engine up is 2 minutes on a cold morning and then drive reasonalbly. it may not be enough to clear the windows of frost and snow but I believe that is why the good lord made ice/snow scrappers.

going to keep law enforcement busy just think a person could get a job as an "idle cop"

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
More than likely its for NYC not the entire state since there's quite a bit of vehicles in the city. Got a link to any info on that law? I'd like to read into it and see what the wording is like.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I found this from 2003:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2003/jun/jun20a_03.html
Here's an excerpt of it:

To counter the harm caused by diesel exhaust, state law provides that trucks and buses with diesel engines may not idle for more than five consecutive minutes, except when powering an auxiliary function – such as loading or unloading cargo or mixing concrete – required for maintenance, or when performing emergency services. Under New York City law, trucks and buses with any kind of engine that are not legally authorized emergency vehicles may not idle for more than three consecutive minutes, except when powering a loading, unloading or processing device.

Its meant for heavy equipment like trucks and buses. Unless there's something else out there they are proposing.

·
Registered
686 Posts
they have this law in Ontario. It's a joke as it's not enforced. In winter cars are allowed to idle if the temp is below 0 (Celsius) in order to run your heater and in the summer if the temp is above 30 (celsius) in order to run your A/C.

that said though, there are tons of cars lined up at Mcdonalds or Tim Horton's drive thrus just sitting there idling while waiting for there food and coffees.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We have it here in the city where I live and I think it is a joke, how in the hell are they ever going to enforce it? Oh I guess someone might call the idling your car to long police on you, lol. I have yet to here of anyone been ticketed for it so far.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
SAT098 said:
it is an effort to cut greenhouse emmissions and lower the consumption of fosil fuels.

It is claimed that all you need to warm your engine up is 2 minutes on a cold morning and then drive reasonalbly. it may not be enough to clear the windows of frost and snow but I believe that is why the good lord made ice/snow scrappers.

going to keep law enforcement busy just think a person could get a job as an "idle cop"
:bsflag:

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,841 Posts
Impossible to enforce

Just how would they enforce this for cars? Spend millions hiring "idle cops"? Maybe they will incorporate idle time into PCMs like they do on big trucks and make you file a "idle time report" to the police dept every year. Gimme a break.

Dodgaholic said:
So I guess all the truckers who sleep in their rigs in NY will just have to freeze to death eh? What a crock of ****.
There are alot of states that dont allow semi's to idle all night at truck stops. They have auxillary power units on most now that give the cab heat and a/c when the engine isnt running. Thats if the driver or company can afford to install one on their trucks ($5-6000). At some truck stops, you can hook up to their heating/a/c system for like $3.00/hour thru your cab window.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think the rule in Ontario is 5 mins. Ottawa just passed a law to make it 3 mins.

Dosen't bother me. How will they enforce it? It's impossible. If I use my car starter to start it up in the winter and some enforcement *tool* just happens to drive by and start timing me, I'll simply stop the car after a couple mins and restart it again.

There's so many holes in this that nobody needs to worry.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I only takes a few mins of idle to get the juices going. The best way to defrost your windows is to blast defrost and drive. If that doesn't suit any, do as us Canadians do, and plug your car in! grab a block heater and batery blanket :p

You can always run a small electric heater to warm your car overnight if you must :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
02R/T said:
I only takes a few mins of idle to get the juices going. The best way to defrost your windows is to blast defrost and drive. If that doesn't suit any, do as us Canadians do, and plug your car in! grab a block heater and batery blanket :p

You can always run a small electric heater to warm your car overnight if you must :biggrin:
This is why the governments are idiots.

If every household plugs in their block heaters + an auxilliary heater overnight, that's like 1500 watts of power for 10 hours! Way more green house gas (depends on powerplant) overall than 5 minutes of idle.

In a free world, you should be able to idle as long as you want, provided that you're buying legal gasoline which contains a sh*tload of government taxes that they can do whatever they want with.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It is about waste idling for that long is a waste and pollutes the environment.

I will be idling my car as long as it takes to defrost my windows because I'm not driving my car when I can't see out of it to my satisfaction.

As for block heaters etc the government would be depending, if they even care I doubt they do, on the fact that people are not going to run out and buy engine heaters or bother with plugging it in etc everyday when they get home.

This law is probably just to make the government/politicians look like they care about the environment or appease environmentalists.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
think of it this way, idling excessively is bad for the car anyways, and also ull be wasting a **** load of gas by excessive idel too. i believe they did a study and said that if ur gonna be away from ur car 10seconds or more its better to shut ur car off and start it again, it saves on ur gas. we all know gas isnt cheap these days. screw the environment...save ur money (ING Direct voice)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
RJ said:
This is why the governments are idiots.

If every household plugs in their block heaters + an auxilliary heater overnight, that's like 1500 watts of power for 10 hours! Way more green house gas (depends on powerplant) overall than 5 minutes of idle...
That all depends. Back home in MB, all of our electricity was hydro-electric. Sure, here in Ontario we have a shitload of nuclear and coal plants, so I can see where you're comming from.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts