DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dodge had a Magnum in 78 & 79. I owned a 79 Magnum. It had a 440 ci engine with nitrous and a 727 tranny with a posi traction rear and air shocks.. Top speed was 172 MPH and did a 1/4 mile in the mid 7s. It was the fastest car I ever owned. So, my question is, since Dodge had a Magnum in 78 & 79, is the new Magnum a 2nd Gen??????????.

Her is a picture of that bad boy.

I can't get the img here but the pix are in my gallery.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I don't think DC considers the new Magnum the second generation.

As far as I know, they don't even want you to remember the first Magnum from the 70's. Its not mentioned in any product literature for the new Mag.

I think they named it that because it sounds cool. :wink:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DMAG said:
I don't think DC considers the new Magnum the second generation.

As far as I know, they don't even want you to remember the first Magnum from the 70's. . :wink:
I think your right. There were a few problems with the 70s Magnums. That's probably why they only made them for 2 years. Sorta like the Edsil.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
2GRT said:
I can't get the img here but the pix are in my gallery.
Here ya go Joe:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tony.
Sometims I get it and sometimes I don't.
I get that CRS problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
my cousin had an older Magnum. Pretty cool car...

Never forget that "fine, corinthean leather" in the Cordoba

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
the hood scoop on that magnum is wrong!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!! that is a 72-73 A-Body hood scoop...damn i hate seeing my hoodscoop on cars that didn't get them originally...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in those days people were putting togeather street muscle cars everywhere. This was mine. It had a 850 holly 4 barel carberater with 3 fuel ports. 1 port for regular driving, 1 port with a second fuel line to the gas tank hooked to an electric fuel pump and 1 port with a line to the nitrous. When I pushed a button on the shifter, it actavated selanoids on the 2nd and 3rd lines that dumped raw fuel and nitrous into the engine. When you dump that much fire power into a Chrysler 440 CID HO engine coupled with the 727 tranny and all of the emission controls removed, you get those numbers. The car wasn't quite street leagle back then because the cats were removed and had headers straight back to the glass paks and would definately not be street leagle today. Back then you could get around state inspections but not these days.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
First 78 -79 Magnums never came with 440 motor. The biggest you could get is a smoged 400 CID with about 175 hp. To get that box into the mid 7s your going to need more than a 440 with NOS. I have owned a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440 Six Pack with 4 speed and 4.10 gears in back. The best she would do is high 13`s. **** the limited 1968 Hemi Darts with 650 hp race Hemi`s with super light bodies would only do low 11`s at 130 in the 1/4 mile. The King R Petty stop driving Dodge because the aero numbers were so bad on the Magnum. Nice looking car but no way is it a 7 sec car.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Hmmmm...

Quarter mile in 7 seconds?

A McClaren F1 (fastest street car made) can do it 11.1 seconds at 138mph and weighs a fraction of an old Magnum. (The May 1978 issue of Road & Track listed the car they tested at 4,312lbs. The April 1978 issue of Car & Driver listed their Magnum XE test car at a weight of 4300 lbs even...by comparison, the F! weighs 2,341 lbs...around half the weight of a Magnum.

So you are saying you could beat a McLaren in the quarter mile and still have time to change the radio station a few times before he caught up to you?

BTW, using the 1/4 mile time and mph you supplied combined with the weight of the car (plus a 150lb driver) the hp calculation is:

Using the ET method, I come up with 2564 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 1767 horsepower

Again....hmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
King Winky said:
Maybe it was 7s in the 1/8th mile.

That would be believable.
That's what I thought at first, but he mentioned he did it at 172 mph.

Wouldn't the forces of nature unravel if a 78 Magnum did that speed.....ever?

:p

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
DMAG said:
That's what I thought at first, but he mentioned he did it at 172 mph.

Wouldn't the forces of nature unravel if a 78 Magnum did that speed.....ever?

:p
It would be some sort of time paradox, and the entire universe would be destroyed.

Perhaps if he had 2.42 jigawatts instead of the regular 1.21. :D

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
/Scotty voice -- Dammit Jim...I'm givin' ya all she's got!!

Yeah, a 78 Mopar product at 172 mph...that would be a sight!! She's Breakin up!!!!

But...this one time at band camp...I had my Thunderbird up to at LEAST 190... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SPOOK R/T said:
First 78 -79 Magnums never came with 440 motor. The biggest you could get is a smoged 400 CID with about 175 hp. To get that box into the mid 7s your going to need more than a 440 with NOS. I have owned a 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440 Six Pack with 4 speed and 4.10 gears in back. The best she would do is high 13`s. **** the limited 1968 Hemi Darts with 650 hp race Hemi`s with super light bodies would only do low 11`s at 130 in the 1/4 mile. The King R Petty stop driving Dodge because the aero numbers were so bad on the Magnum. Nice looking car but no way is it a 7 sec car.
Your absoloutly right about the engine. The last year the 440 HO engine was made was 1978. This Magnum is a 1979. The 1978 440 HO was worked and dropped in this car. This car was built to be one of the fastest street muscle cars of it's time. The side opera windows were even removed to decrease the drag.
I owned it for 10 years before it died. I only took it to it's max 1 time because it scared the crap out of me. It sounded like a freight train and took off like a jet.
You guys really did your homework. The only thing I can say is you had to be there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to comment on the 1/4 mile ets. I don't think a magnum could do that and be steetable. The top end would be believeable though. Remember the old original shelby cobras ( not the fords) anyway the word was that they could go from 0 to 100 mph back to 0 in 10 seconds Only car ever to do that. That was with the 427 ford side oiler and all the goodies. I don't know for sure if this was true. If you go to musclecarclub.com and click on 50 fastest it shows the cobra at 12.2 seconds as being the fastest muscle car. It's a neat site check it out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts