DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this site and in search of help. I own a 1995 Dodge Intrepid that I am hoping to sell. The problem is it is kind of hard to sell the car right now. Sometimes when I turn the key on, none of the instrument cluster works and the car will not shift out of second gear. When this happens everything else in the car works fine. If I flip the key on and off repeatedly, sometimes the car comes back to life. Other times it takes a long while before this happens. The car is still a great runner even though it has 193,000 miles on it, but this problem is stumping me and the car is not worth dumping tons of money into just to sell it. Anyone else been through this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
You need to get it diagnosed or run the codes yourself. If the car will only stay in second gear, it is in limp mode which usually means there is a problem with the transmision. As far as the gauges go, it may be related. You may be having computer woes of some sort. There are 3 computers in these cars - Body computer, transmision computer and engine computer. Get a haynes manual and run the codes, or search the site here. There is a thread on retrieveing codes and what they are. Or take it to a shop and have it scanned. Good luck

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
lets not jump to conclusions.
screwed up guages along with limp mode most likely means the output sensor on the tranny needs to be replaced.
a 15 minut job that only costs around 40 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks. I do not think it is the output sensor from what i have read because non of the gauges or lights on the dash work. I have been reading other threads, and i think it may be the ignition switch. I was playing with it yesterday and when i turn the key real slow, it comes up more often than not. However, anyone ever pull apart a steering column? Haynes manual says to remove the three torx screws under column, remove the tilt lever, and the plastic halves should come apart. I did this and it sure feels like they are still hooked together, Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My guess is you have a pwr/gnd related problem that is killing the BCM and TCM intermittently somehow. You can try the ignition swap, but I'd also be checking and reseating fuses and relays in the Power Distribution Center under the hood.

edit: it wouldn't hurt to check and reseat fuses in the dash too...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I totally agree with checking fuses.

Whenever I've started to think it was something else, it was almost always a fuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts