DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
My name is Brendon, I'm a 16 year old High School student from the New Albany area in Columbus, Ohio. I enjoy things such as sports, cars, girls, technology, politics, etc. I recently got an offer from my grandma to sell me her 98 Intrepid ES (with the auto-stick addition) for around $1,600 (it will be my first car); and I was really considering it. I know it has been treated well because my great-grandma bought it brand new, and she passed it down to my grandma. I've driven it quite a bit, and I think it's a lot of fun, and it's pretty powerful for a V6 (3.5l engine, I believe), in my opinion. The only thing wrong with the car is the control system display for the A/C and heat doesn't work. The A/C & heat, defrosters and such work just fine, but the display system hasn't been displaying anything, it's just blank. I was just curious as to what I would have to do to get that fixed. Other than that, that's the only thing that acts weird with it. Oh, and it only has 87,000 miles on it. Good deal?

I wasn't planning on doing many performance modifications, because I don't wanna over-do it, but I would be open to possibly a cold air intake, as well as an exhaust, but probably not much past that, since it's not really meant to be a race car. I want to re-do the speaker system and put in a new head unit and get a small subwoofer box, and I'm gonna get a radar detector as well, since a bunch of my friends recommend me getting one just in terms of a precaution with tickets, etc.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Thank you!
Brendon

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I got a girl chasing car lovin newbie with questions!

Welcome from Nova Scotia.

It's wild to think these cars have been around long enough for your great granma to give it to your grandma and she give it to you!

i have a couple if your interested.

The auto temp controls are common to mess up.

You can take them out and re-soder the contacts or buy a second hand one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a girl chasing car lovin newbie with questions!

Welcome from Nova Scotia.

It's wild to think these cars have been around long enough for your great granma to give it to your grandma and she give it to you!

i have a couple if your interested.

The auto temp controls are common to mess up.

You can take them out and re-soder the contacts or buy a second hand one.
Haha, I guess you're right! :p
Yeah, my great-grandma had it, and when she passed away, she gave it to my grandma, and my grandma wants to get one of those new Nissan Maxima's, so she's gonna sell it to me for cheap. So, I could take the temp control system out, and go to a junk yard or buy one on eBay and put it back in there, and it'll work?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Dude! Welcome from Pickerington! :D

I've got two different spares if you need one - but yes, available at the junkyard (usually).

They're interchangeable up through 2004. Your plan will work. Need a 4mm hex socket to remove the little screws that affix the ATC to the bezel, IIRC.

·
18,595 Posts
Oh - I believe you have the 3.2l motor (I don't think the 3.5's came out until '99?). You've got low miles, but you're definitely overdue (7 years or 105K miles) for the timing belt & water pump change, if it hasn't been done already.

For that price, I'd jump on that. Budget some more for the TB/WP and a trans service, and that car will live a looong life. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dude! Welcome from Pickerington! :D

I've got two different spares if you need one - but yes, available at the junkyard (usually).

They're interchangeable up through 2004. Your plan will work. Need a 4mm hex socket to remove the little screws that affix the ATC to the bezel, IIRC.
Thanks man! :D That's about 20 minutes or so. My dad lives in Blacklick, so you're much closer to him, but that's still only a 20-30 minute drive. I have a good friend who lives near the Drug Mart in your area. You have a spare temp control display system?

Oh - I believe you have the 3.2l motor (I don't think the 3.5's came out until '99?). You've got low miles, but you're definitely overdue (7 years or 105K miles) for the timing belt & water pump change, if it hasn't been done already.

For that price, I'd jump on that. Budget some more for the TB/WP and a trans service, and that car will live a looong life. :D
That's what mainly grabbed my attention, was the price. I was looking at a 02 Mustang GT and a 98 Trans Am, but I kinda veered away from that because of the juridical insurance prices, and it would take me a little while to save the money. And I work, so saving and being able to do stuff that I want to do would push me back even further. Maybe after a few years when my insurance will be cheaper, I'll possibly get one just specific for racing.

·
18,595 Posts
Plus it'd be great to have another active Columbus member - there's a guy very near you (Westerville) that will likely chime in here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plus it'd be great to have another active Columbus member - there's a guy very near you (Westerville) that will likely chime in here.
When I finish my driving classes & get my license and buy this, I'll be as active on here as possible!

·
18,595 Posts
Thanks man! :D That's about 20 minutes or so. My dad lives in Blacklick, so you're much closer to him, but that's still only a 20-30 minute drive. I have a good friend who lives near the Drug Mart in your area. You have a spare temp control display system?
Drug Mart! I'm right down Diley.

Yeah I'll let ya have one - if you give me your old one! They can be fixed, as noted in a post above. Then I can hand that off to the next guy. PM me if you want to pull the trigger on this.

I think I have an 02+ model as well - kinda hard to find and fairly popular since it has the updated display (no LEDs for defrost, it's integrated into the main display). That one won't be free. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drug Mart! I'm right down Diley.

Yeah I'll let ya have one - if you give me your old one! They can be fixed, as noted in a post above. Then I can hand that off to the next guy. PM me if you want to pull the trigger on this.

I think I have an 02+ model as well - kinda hard to find and fairly popular since it has the updated display (no LEDs for defrost, it's integrated into the main display). That one won't be free. :D
Alright man, perfect. I'll let you know when I get everything squared away, and we can definitely figure something out!

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh! I got mine when I was 17 for my first car and its recently been regulated to Sunday driver status. Good car, you'll like it.

04 only Eric :smileyvault-newhere: K&N makes an intake for the 2.7, 3.2 and 3.5. You could probably find one used somewhere instead of paying the $275 for a new one. Exhaust leaves you two options, go custom or exhaust from a 300m Special (02-04). Beeblebrox82 (Nate) has a video of his 3.2 with it and it sounds great. Even better in person though, haha.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If anything changes and you decide NOT to buy it, be sure to let us know!

I, for one, would be very interested in having a chance to buy it!
--Terry

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,976 Posts
Welcome from NC! Used to live in A'hia...lots of great members there!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts