DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 1998 Intrepid with 80,000 miles on it. Is there anything I should know about these kinds of cars that dealers won't tell me?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
yep, do a search on the 2.7 and sludge issues... you might want to switch to synthetic oil if its not already too late. I would have the engine flushed. DO NOT miss any oil changes!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
welcome aboard, use that search button, they are several good posts about how to PROPERLY maintain your motor for a long life.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the site. As said before use that search bar. I also have a 98 base and the deal is if you treat it good ... it will give you good service in return. There are certain issues that our engines are notorious for (and you will learn about here) but you will find that this site is THE BEST RESOURCE for identifying and dealing with these issues. If you think that there is a problem with the trep, this is the first place you should come for info. If you can't find it with the search, start a thread here and you will get some help :)

Best regards.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This last monday the engine would not run after turning the key, after the 10th try it turned on. Today I had a family day and when we were getting out of the ZOO, Again the trep would not start. Honestly I think its the Starter but I'm open to suggestions. I had the Trep towed to a mech in the morning I'll find out more. One more thing that I noticed is that it leaks oil somewhere in the drivers side area near the exhaust, Any Ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the site! I love my 2nd gen Intrepid. Good luck w/ your issues, this is the place to find answers to some of your questions.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my trep back and it turned out to be a dirty starter cable. The mech had to put another quart of oil after I put a quart on wednesday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yea i gotta 98 intrepid as well ... from what ive heard and seen with my own and a few ive looked at on ebay sometimes the motors will lock up around 100k give or take my motor went out at 104k so i replaced it and its been fine so far

·
Registered
107 Posts
OfficerVILLA said:
I just got my trep back and it turned out to be a dirty starter cable. The mech had to put another quart of oil after I put a quart on wednesday.
Glad you got the starting issue sorted out. If your mechanic hasn't done it already, why not clean up the oily areas with some brake cleaner. Sometimes it may appear that there is a leak in one place but the oil has actually been blown from somewhere else. After the cleaning, monitor the areas that you suspect the leak might be coming from for a few days. Check the oil plug and filter areas closely as well.

Good luck with this.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
Cool, another Chicago member!

Anyways, Make sure you follow up on all the maintmence on that 2.7L and it should be ok... Of course, if the previous owner didn't take care of it, well you'll find out...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey whats up? Welcome to the site, have fun and take care! Again Welcome :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts