DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '95 today for $300. It has serious tranny slippage (not driveable), and some paint spots that I understand are both common problems. What can I do about these (if anything)? Car has 128k miles on the clock. Will Dodge do anything about these things? I can get a used tranny for $450, but not sure if I can just throw one in due to the TCM etc.

FWIW, I'm mechanically inclined but old school. I have an 11 sec. '94 Camaro Z-28 and looking to make this Intrepid my daily driver. Thanks!!

Gary

·
Registered
964 Posts
A 7 yr. old car with that mileage is as out of warranty as it can be.
Put in the used tranny and pray or get the present unit o'hauled for about $1500/$1600 bucks. The PCM can be re-flashed with the latest software to eliminate partial converter lockup except when the AC is about to engage. A re-built PCM for my 95 LHS was $140 exchange at my Chrysler dealer in Chicago. As far as paint, check out Macco.

FredB

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get a used tranny. Get the current one rebuilt. Most places that you will get a used one from have no idea what it has been through. Let alone have any clue on how long it will last once you install it. If you can get a warranty on it, go fo it. Otherwise you should stay away from that option. ( I was/am in this position with my '92 LeBaron)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
And on another note. Beware of Maaco. Their "$200 paint job" special is not what you would call quality. I am not sure if they have other more expensive jobs where they actually paint you car well, but the one they ad on TV around here is crap. One of my friends got it. His car had the texture of an orange peel. It looked like they just masked off the windows and painted everything else. Not to mention it didn't take long before it started to peel. Just remember, you get what you pay for. :)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
we did a fundraiser carwash one time way back in the day and did this one lady's car. nice paint job (we thought). well my buddy went ahead and wiped it off with the terry towels to dry it, only problem was, instead of water coming off the paint came off. this was Maaco quality. I'd stay away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts